WAG Any AuDHD (autistic/ADHD) Gymnasts out there?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter has serious sensory issues and talks nonstop (so probably has ADHD, as I do). She doesn't have a formal diagnosis but is pretty clearly neurodivergent.

The sensory issues present challenges. She has hated every single comp leo that she's ever had. She's thrown huge screaming fits getting her hair done before a meet. In fact, she's thrown multiple huge screaming fits before meets for a number of sensory related issues.

With that said, I think it's probably a net plus for gymnastics. She's hyper focused. She never gets nervous -- her comp routines look identical to her routines in practice. She's never been afraid of a skill. She refuses to give up no matter how hard things are. She's friendly to teammates at practice but she's clearly there to do gymnastics. This results in her taking somewhere between 50% and 100% more reps than the kids who stand around, chat, drink water, chat, Her hand eye coordination is almost super human. Etc.

I don't think that it's coincidental that Simone Biles had a TUE for Adderall. The sort of mind that processes information with sufficient speed to move a body in ways that have never been done before is almost certainly not going to be 100% typical.

Thanks! I definitely relate to this a lot of times I won’t make corrections because I don’t understand them but when thoroughly explained I’m able to do the skill correctly! And yes I’ve realized it’s definitely a sensory seeking thing for me as well

My daughter has serious sensory issues and talks nonstop (so probably has ADHD, as I do). She doesn't have a formal diagnosis but is pretty clearly neurodivergent.

The sensory issues present challenges. She has hated every single comp leo that she's ever had. She's thrown huge screaming fits getting her hair done before a meet. In fact, she's thrown multiple huge screaming fits before meets for a number of sensory related issues.

With that said, I think it's probably a net plus for gymnastics. She's hyper focused. She never gets nervous -- her comp routines look identical to her routines in practice. She's never been afraid of a skill. She refuses to give up no matter how hard things are. She's friendly to teammates at practice but she's clearly there to do gymnastics. This results in her taking somewhere between 50% and 100% more reps than the kids who stand around, chat, drink water, chat, Her hand eye coordination is almost super human. Etc.

I don't think that it's coincidental that Simone Biles had a TUE for Adderall. The sort of mind that processes information with sufficient speed to move a body in ways that have never been done before is almost certainly not going to be 100% typical.
Thank you so much for sharing! I’ve found being at practice is also a big aspect of sensory seeking for myself.

I don't have a diagnosis but I'm pretty sure I have at least mild autism, and I know that I hate standing around and waiting. I never stop practicing to talk to anyone else and I notice that I always take the most turns. I never get nervous at meets or to do skills, but I tend to get really impatient easily so I don't like going last for anything. I am pretty hyperfocused too so I think other gymnasts on my team have trouble talking to me, but I'm not really bothered by that.

My daughter has adhd and autism and sometimes struggled Really bad at practice. Makes me worried if we’re doing right thing keeping her I. It

I’ve found that gymnastics helps regulate me mentally. It gives me something to focus on, an outlet, it soothes me. I get to focus inward and control my own body and learn more about the sport that I love.

I’ve found that gymnastics helps regulate me mentally. It gives me something to focus on, an outlet, it soothes me. I get to focus inward and control my own body and learn more about the sport that I love.
Did you compete. As welll

I do! I’m rather competitive, so I enjoy that aspect as well. I have my pre-meet routines, and just focus on doing the same stuff that I do in practice.
Ok she does to
She gets really hard on herself when she does not do good. Or medel

Ok she does to
She gets really hard on herself when she does not do good. Or medel
I struggle with that too. I think what helps is framing it in my mind before hand, making realistic goals for myself. Not ‘I want to place xxx’ but ‘I want to score xxx because I’ve done it before, or because I’ve improved on this. It’s hardest when I mess up on something that I know I can do.

I struggle with that too. I think what helps is framing it in my mind before hand, making realistic goals for myself. Not ‘I want to place xxx’ but ‘I want to score xxx because I’ve done it before, or because I’ve improved on this. It’s hardest when I mess up on something that I know I can do.
Thank you so much hopefully I can get her in that mind set she gets super upset when she does
Not good. Like she medels but not in what she wanted.
She is 9 almost and learning but she does so well

I have ADHD but I find that all it does is just make it harder for me to focus on the little details. (Pointed toes, tight body, etc.)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back