Arch Support for Flat Feet?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

momo

Have any of you experienced problems with your arches while being bare footed at the gym? Have you found anything that works?
I've been looking at the FABS and see that they have some pretty good reviews. I have also seen some stuff on Leukotape...not sure about it.
The only problem is, I already tape one of my ankles and use ASO braces on both. I'm not sure if any of these may work with all the other garb.

Any feedback would be great!

My youngest uses FABS, they are great and have relieved her ankle pain. BUt they are very expensive and do not last very long. I am constantly trying to find something as lightweight that is durable!

It sounds like your ankles are a huge issue, have you seen a doctor?

We also used Fabs for a while but agree they don't last very long. My gymmie would tape her arches and preferred that feeling.

We were under the care of Physiotherapist at the time who gave Corky exercises to do daily to strengthen her feet and arches.

Lots of toe raises will strengthen the feet and ankles. And walking around on your toes too(plus it helps the calf muscles immensely!) I actually am flat footed myself, and as long as I keep the ankles and feet strong, don't have an issue with it, have tried taping to tighten it and find myself more off balance then without lol

We were under the care of Physiotherapist at the time who gave Corky exercises to do daily to strengthen her feet and arches.

That sounds like a good idea. Also, if you go to the ballet blog website, they have a program for ballet dancers that includes exercises for strengthening the feet including the arches. I am thinking of buying it to try the exercises as I also have posturally flat feet.

I've had ankle issues since starting back into gymnastics and actually had ankle surgery last year. I asked my orthopedic about FABS, she said to use them if they helped. Just wanted to get some feedback on them before trying them out. I may try some taping first and see if it helps any.

Thanks for all the responses!

My DDs Physical therapist also works with ballet students. She uses the taping method called the teardrop method which she did for my DD and taught me how to do it, you can find examples of how to do it on the web or ask a PT. Hope it helps.

That sounds like a good idea. Also, if you go to the ballet blog website, they have a program for ballet dancers that includes exercises for strengthening the feet including the arches. I am thinking of buying it to try the exercises as I also have posturally flat feet.

Nicki do you have a link for the ballet site you are talking about?

Mine also does physio to strengtehn her feet, the excercises really have helped a lot and she wears FABS less and less. But she has to be diligent and do them at least twice weekly!

Nicki do you have a link for the ballet site you are talking about?

www.theballetblog.com

It's by Lisa Howell, an Australian physiotherapist. She also has some videos on YouTube. I am using her flexibility program.

(Not sure if we're allowed to post commercial links here - mods can remove if not).

The link is just fine and great. We can all benefit. We only have issues when people push their own products without checking with us first!

My DD also had arch support problems. We ended up by more expensive shoes for her, and arch support inserts that she wore at school. It helped a lot! She is still barefoot at the gym, but she is no longer in pain.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back