Coaches Backflip Drills for jumping through feet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

K

kez

Hi - I'm looking for some more drills specifically to help a number of my gymnasts that tend to backflip by jumping through their knees and not by jumping through their feet (hope that makes sense). We already do the jump back drill as part of our back flip circuit to try to encourage a better jump back but I was looking for an alternative or an additional drill that would help.

I don't think they fully understand what I mean when I say jump through your feet not through your knees so perhaps just another way of explaining the issue might help as well.

Cheers,

Kez

Stand on the bottom of a spring board and do jump backs and back handsprings. This puts the toes higher than the heels and they'll have to push through their feet.

Angle backhandsprings on tumbletrak seem to have this effect. As soon as they bend their knees after jumping to the angle, they end up on their behinds, so they stop doing that.

Do you think this would help? I normally use it to encourage more of a lean backwards, but I guess it might help them not to bend their knees as much:

Stand something infront of the gymnasts, I use a Yurchenko collar and stand it upright, but you can use anything. Have them do the backflip making a concious effort not to touch the object.

Also, lots and lots of rebound jumps on a springboard or trampette without bending the knees - just pushing through the toes.

Good Luck!

Thanks for all the replies. Will be trying some of those ideas. Don't have a tumbletrak but will also be noting that drill down in case I ever have the fortune to have a well equipped gym. Thanks again everyone.

A bit off but I came across a few high level gymnastics coaches who were into crossfit. They were implementing the 2nd pull of an olympic lift to focus on fully opening the hip.

This can be easily done with a stick or jumprope.

There was also a good drill back on the gymnasticsminute a long time ago where they sit at the bottom of a wedge on their heels and have to hop while on their knees up the hill. It requires them to pop open the hips to move forward up the angled wedge.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back