Coaches Boys and bars! Help!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

cass

Coach
My one hour boys (ages 5-10) HATE going on the bars, I try to make it fun by doing monkey hangs and silly little things. I am running out of ideas and fast since this is my first year coaching, any ideas to keep these boys engaged?!

one game I love with younger boys is "bullseye" I take a mat that can be stood up or propped sturdily and draw a bullseye on it and have them put a beanie baby in between their feet and have swing and throw it and try to make it to the bullseye. another game I like play doesn't have a name but I poly spots. (rubber dots) on the ground under the bar and write a fake prize next to it with chalk. ex. a new car, a trip to the moon... I have them do front supports and try to "walk" across the bar and where they fall is what they win.

Um, it can be a tricky situation with boys, make sure it's not hurting anything, try a foam pad on the bars. More swinging. Contests to hang the longest or hold chin or feet up.

Umm, lots of forward rolls. Setup a block for them to practice kickovers on.

If they let you, get some rope and tie them to a bar with it to make a hip circle machine. Some kids will utterly hate this and others will never want to stop spinny around.

Lots of hanging stuff. Do side to side and hand over hand walks from one side of the High Bar to the other and make them hold a pit cube or beany bag with their feet. Of course they can just drop into a pit as well if it's a pit bar.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back