Coaches Can I coach with no gym background?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mOm2gymnast<3

Coach
Proud Parent
Let me start off by saying "HELLO ALL" :) Head coach offered me a position as an assistant coach for Lv1, preschool and mom & tot. I wont be teaching these level alone, there will be a more experience coach with me at all times until I feel comfortable on what I am doing. Personally, I have no gymnastic background until 2 years ago. My dd took gymnastics and ever since she started, we have been doing private lessons with her coach (wife of gym owner). Husband (coach 2) came to me and asked me to coach, he said he will train me personally and let me shadow him and his wife for as long as I need. He also said that since, dd has been doing privates, I have a basic idea on some things. I am nervous, but my first week has been fun so far. Do any of you coaches right now have the same background as I do? Like, not gymnast, etc?

Of course you can. In a preschool you won't be teaching high level skills. If you have another coach with you and are good with toddlers you will be great!

I'm sure there are more than a few who have not only coached, but excelled at it, with no appreciable experience...... like past high school PE. Speaking of PE, I mentored two collegiate PE graduates who became very capable coaches and were always able to stay well ahead of the needs of their kids. Both of them progressed, in 1-2 years, to about the point of level 7 and 8 skills before moving on.

You don't have anything to worry about.

I have no gymnastics background. I wrestled in high school. I started coaching when my daughter made team so I could help pay for her gymnastics. I ended up being head coach a few years later. I have met quite a few college coaches that were never gymnasts as well. I think you'll have a ball and learn as you go.

That's so exciting! You will have so much fun. You don't really need any coaching experience cos you'll learn on the job

Totally! I don't have any formal experience in gymnastics in terms of actual participation (The most gymnastics I did as a kid were cartwheels, handstands, and round-offs on the playground). It is a lot of hard work but it is so rewarding when you teach these kids new skills! I hope you pursue this and you have support from this guy.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back