Coaches Coaching when pregnant

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So, as you can guess from the title I'm expecting my first in April of next year. I'm 11 weeks as of now and am just looking for advice on what other coaches did while pregnant.
I'm the gymnastics director/head team coach in our gym, so I wear a lot of hats. We're a new program (4 years old) and have team levels 2-5 (hopefully going 6 soon) along with Xcel.
I guess I'm wondering if doctors put you on lots of restrictions, how you handled practice/spotting/meets, and at what time did you stop coaching before you delivered. I'm just trying to plan ahead and get mentally ready to step away! Thanks for any advice/ideas you have!

Sent from my iPad using ChalkBucket mobile app

Never been prego.

But I have worked for owners who have been at the gym till the time they popped or with other female coaches who were.

Generally, manage stress.

Don't strain yourself spotting. Get someone. If you can, a tall(er) HS guy who is strong. Some gyms hire just young guys who are strong and tall just to spot events. Cheap and fun job.

I just had my second this past June. I was planning on working until she came. I ended up stopping when I was a week overdue. I spotted everything until maybe 6-7 months, then switched to stationary spotting and only for drills (nothing where I might have to jump in to save someone). I went back to work at 3 weeks postpartum but wouldn't recommend it. Happy to answer any questions you have.

First pregnancy... I played it by ear and ended up working until the day I gave birth (coached until 9 pm, went into labor as soon as I went home). I planned to take a maternity leave, but my baby was so colicky at home that I ended up returning to work with a newborn in tow (hubby and I were gym owners). As soon as baby #1 got into the gym, she recognized the familiar gym sounds and was content. She hated being at home, which made me hate being at home too since all she did was cry when we were away from the gym. After that experience, I went into pregnancy #2 with no plans to take a maternity leave. Sure enough, I gave birth on a Sunday afternoon and coached the next day since there wasn't enough time to call in a sub (unexpectedly gave birth 2 weeks early)! I assume that being so active through coaching was what made my body bounce back so well after birth. Baby #2 also wanted nothing more than to hang out at the gym. While I was pregnant, I just listened to my body. You will know when it's time to give up spotting, doing warm up stretching, etc.

Coaching and being in the gym is fine. The risk is if you get kicked, hit or otherwise crashed into by a flying gymnast.

So I'd reduce spotting and keep away from fast moving bodies as soon as practically possible.

Otherwise enjoy! And congratulations :)

First pregnancy... I played it by ear and ended up working until the day I gave birth (coached until 9 pm, went into labor as soon as I went home). I planned to take a maternity leave, but my baby was so colicky at home that I ended up returning to work with a newborn in tow (hubby and I were gym owners). As soon as baby #1 got into the gym, she recognized the familiar gym sounds and was content. She hated being at home, which made me hate being at home too since all she did was cry when we were away from the gym. After that experience, I went into pregnancy #2 with no plans to take a maternity leave. Sure enough, I gave birth on a Sunday afternoon and coached the next day since there wasn't enough time to call in a sub (unexpectedly gave birth 2 weeks early)! I assume that being so active through coaching was what made my body bounce back so well after birth. Baby #2 also wanted nothing more than to hang out at the gym. While I was pregnant, I just listened to my body. You will know when it's time to give up spotting, doing warm up stretching, etc.

hahahahaha, this sounds all to familiar. although it was a long time ago for us. no spotting though. it's too dangerous.

Well, a long time later I am finally able to reply. I've officially been benched- no heavy spotting at all, very little spotting period. It's given me an interesting perspective of their routines and things to clean up. And I have to behave as my doctors DD is one of my team girls. :) I think I'll survive, but it's already killing me to not be as hands on!

Enjoy while you can. Not having to spot allows you to see things you'd otherwise miss.

So, as you can guess from the title I'm expecting my first in April of next year. I'm 11 weeks as of now and am just looking for advice on what other coaches did while pregnant.
I'm the gymnastics director/head team coach in our gym, so I wear a lot of hats. We're a new program (4 years old) and have team levels 2-5 (hopefully going 6 soon) along with Xcel.
I guess I'm wondering if doctors put you on lots of restrictions, how you handled practice/spotting/meets, and at what time did you stop coaching before you delivered. I'm just trying to plan ahead and get mentally ready to step away! Thanks for any advice/ideas you have!

Sent from my iPad using ChalkBucket mobile app

"what's that mean?"

It's given me an interesting perspective of their routines and things to clean up....:) I think I'll survive, but it's already killing me to not be as hands on!
Our head coach specifically has me sitting in the bleachers and watching just for my perspective on the routines and skills.
I also record some of the stuff so I can play it back for the coach and the girls. That's my JOB :) and i love it!

Ready to step away? For time off when I have the baby. I do enjoy the time to sit back and watch... But it is so hard not to be hands on!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back