Comparing ankle support braces, please help?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So I was contemplating between Swede-O's ankle lok and Aircast's airsport.

Which is better for gymnastics/trampoline? protection-wise, comfort and range of motion?

Thanks.

if you need a brace the best bet is to talk to your Doctor first to make sure that is what you really need. No one should be using bracing etc with out a visit to a doctor to make sure nothing else is going on.

Agreed, GymBee. And, as a bonus, insurance companies may pay for the brace with a prescription from your doctor. I get new swede-o's every year for free :)

I have no experience with anything else, and I'm not a doctor so I would not be able to recommend a brace to anyone--what brace you need depends on your body and injury. Go see your doctor.

In the past I have used the aircast's airsport and while it provides amazing support, it's very heavy and bulky for gymnastics. It would be perfect to wear with a sneaker for most other sports, but while tumbling it weighed me down and I did everything crooked, I couldn't stand with my feet together on the beam, and it was too heavy for bars. I've also used an ASO brace from a doctor which tied up and velcrowed in a figure eight pattern, and that worked well but was kind of itchy so I had to put prewrap under it. I'd recommend seeing a doctor and finding a brace that works for your specific injury/needs though.

@gymnast695 - thanks for the only straight answer here. I actually tried the Airsport and it felt a bit bulky indeed. But what I really didn't like about it, is that it felt a bit loose on my leg - as the fabric is mostly ]stretchy]. So the shop owner gave me the Swede-O to try - and it was really holding my ankle nicely. A lot of people recommend the Airsport over the Swede-O, which is what brought me to ask this question to begin with. I guess I'll go with what fits best.

We all gave you "straight answers" NO ONE can recommend a brace all we can say is what brace has been used by our gymnast for their injury. The only straight answer anyone can give is go to your Doctor and see what brace they say you NEED for the injury you have. You should go with the brace your Doctor recommends. Have you seen a doctor? What is the injury you're trying to "fix"?
Sometimes the "one that "fits best" isn't the one that will do the job that needs to be done. Have you talked to your parents about seeing a DR to get a diagnosis? I know as a parent I would never let my daughter get a brace without seeing a doctor first.

NO one can advise you medically here. Only a sports therapist or doctor can advise you on a brace. The wrong one might not help, it might make things worse.

Thread closed.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back