Parents Competing USAG & IGC?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JessMom

Proud Parent
I know there were a small group that has done both USAG & USAIGC at the same time.

Jess was going to do both last year, but we decided to have her focus on her first year in USAG. This year there was no getting around it. She is VERY excited and got her beam and floor routines for silver.

SO, I was wondering if the moms that have done both had any words of wisdom. Many of these competitions will have the same judges - any idea if that's a good thing or bad thing?

Ever do 2 competitions in one day . . yes, I said one day

The first competition, I think, the USAIGC & USAG is on the same day. She is trying to convince me that it's not a big deal and she'll be warmed up for the second. :p

Hope everyone has a great season ! ! ! !

I'm going to try to find some time to catch up! I love reading the bragging posts and I'm looking forward to this years meet reports :D

That is probably not a problem for her! BUT....sitting through 2 meets in one day for mom? YIKES!! lol!! Seriously, if she doesn't think its a big deal just go for it! HOpefully there is not a time issue. We usually don't know the time my DD is competing til about a week before the comp. So as long as they don't overlap I would let my DD go to 2 in one day. Especially if she got to do totally different routines at each! Good luck ..... and ...bring a cushion.

Can you tell my what the difference is? My daughter is at a YMCA that competes USAG, but the local highschool also has a team. Is that USAIGC? There are a number of girls on the team that do both (and the head coach at the Y is also the assistant coach at the highschool, so scheduling meets so that the two don't conflict is necessary), and I hope that Kathy will someday do both as well, though she's only 9, so I don't have to worry too much about that yet.:)

MaryA - Here is a link I found:

USAIGC

This is from their main page:

"We are an Optional Only College Bound Competitive Program built upon the intentional slowing down of the gymnasts learning curve along with long-term skill development that begins on our competitive entry level. We believe in a different training model for competitive gymnasts. Our goal is for gymnastic longevity, built on intelligent gymnastic training, allowing gymnasts personal time to handle the challenges of school and the necessary time to continue outside activities with friends and family. You only go through life once and the USAIGC wants to build a well rounded gymnast with their eye on higher education and prepared to interface in the “real world”.

I am thinking USAIGC is just a different option for gymnasts other than USAG. But I am still uncertain why coaches would want kids to do both USAG and USAIGC??? Maybe for the additional competitive experience?

My DD is also on her high school team. I do believe that they follow the National Federation of High School rules... gymnastics in high school is a totally different beast. www.nfhs.org

Wow 2 in one. I didn't even know that was allowed. MY dd wants to do PO and a compulsory in at the same meet, but I didn't think you could do that.

I can't wait to see what gets posted on this topic.

Most of the parents that have posted about doing USAG and USAIGC don't do it at the same time. If I recall most do one season in USAG and then a seperate USAIGC season.

Is there some reason your dd has to do both at once?

My DD will be doing USAIGC after her L5 states in January. Not 100% sure how this program is since we've only done USAG, but I think our gym uses it while uptraining L6. I think they only do a couple meets and then a state meet. After doing these years as L4 and L5, it will be nice to see my DD do something different, LOL

Thanks all for your feedback.

Jess started in USAIGC and competed Bronze and Silver. The next year she switched to USAG at a new gym and had to start with level 5. For someone that was competing BHS on beam and tucks on floor . . . doing a cartwheel on beam and drive rolls was a hard sale. We had told her she could do both but decided against it - letting her take the time to focus on form. This year she wasn't buying it. LOL. At our gym we have both USAG & USAIGC teams. After level 6 early states they encourage girls to finish the season or a complete season in USAIGC with their level 7 routines.

She doesn't have to she desperately wants to.

And the best thing about USAIGC is that the gymnast can compete on more then one level at a time and has a wide variety of skills to choose from - it's all optional which makes it fun.

For example when my daughter competed USAIGC 2 years ago - she competed all levels bronze (think 5/6 ish) then beam and floor silver (6/7 ish)

Thanks all for your feedback.

Jess started in USAIGC and competed Bronze and Silver. The next year she switched to USAG at a new gym and had to start with level 5. For someone that was competing BHS on beam and tucks on floor . . . doing a cartwheel on beam and drive rolls was a hard sale. We had told her she could do both but decided against it - letting her take the time to focus on form. This year she wasn't buying it. LOL. At our gym we have both USAG & USAIGC teams. After level 6 early states they encourage girls to finish the season or a complete season in USAIGC with their level 7 routines.

She doesn't have to she desperately wants to.

And the best thing about USAIGC is that the gymnast can compete on more then one level at a time and has a wide variety of skills to choose from - it's all optional which makes it fun.

For example when my daughter competed USAIGC 2 years ago - she competed all levels bronze (think 5/6 ish) then beam and floor silver (6/7 ish)

We have USAG and MDL at our gym but no one crosses over and competes both. There are several gyms that we compete against that do compete in both USAG and MDL. This year they had to change the rules in the MDL (which is comparable to USAIGC) to prevent the "crossovers" from obliterating the main MDL competitors so to speak. They now have placed a cap on the AA score to prevent this.

The rule is this: If a gymnast scores a 36.00 AA or higher in two out of the first 3 meets then they MUST move up a level in the remaining meets or take a participation ribbon only and be ineligible for any awards for individual events or AA. This basically cuts down the 38+AA scores that we saw at championships. And yes, they were the gymnasts that competed in BOTH programs throughout the year. I think this change is great for the kids that just train the limited MDL hours and don't want the pressure of having to train more hours to keep up with the double dippers. GREAT rule change!!!

Last edited:
I think this change is great for the kids that just train the limited MDL hours and don't want the pressure of having to train more hours to keep up with the double dippers. GREAT rule change!!!

I could not agree more! I worry about that a lot! Allowing gymnasts to do both does defeat the purpose of the more recreational competitive organizations. When I questioned that 2 years ago I was told that there was a recommended or suggested training time - but no max.

If a girl is doing both they should be awarded separately like they do with national teams, like Bermuda, that come and compete USAIGC competitions.

ps. I'm coming after your title. I hope you warmed up :p

I was wondering why your dd is doing USAG at all if she is a 'challenge bunny' and likes the harder skills and variety which USAIG gives her. If she wants to move to USAG optionals later she only needs to do one meet of each level to score out and she has already done 5.

I don't see any wisdom in mixing the two - they are separate philosophies. I would pick the one that best suits your child and stick with it.

Looks like your daughter is doing well at either. Like others have said, why bother with both? Just pick one. If USAG, find a gym where she can uptrain.

She wants to do USAG level 7 but has to compete 6 first . . even then she is not ready for level 7 bars. USAIGC is giving her the opportunity to compete what she can. Our gym up trains but she wants to compete. She enjoys it and she missed USAIGC.

Unlike the other girls in compulsory she had a taste of optionals. She likes to smile, shake, wiggle and not be so serious. To add some personality. It's hard to explain. But the important thing is - she's happy.

Jessmom, you hit the nail on the head! She is happy, you are willing and she is doing great! Kudos to her and you!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back