WAG curious - where would your child be in this and what is appropriate? (coaches?)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think it's just while she's mounting her back foot is not completely pointed under her on the beam…maybe a .05 deduction if judges are picky.
Guess that's why amongst many reasons why I will never be a judge or coach...still don't see it ;-p

Low blow….Delanie has worked hard and looks amazing.

Yeah I have to say, I respect you PL but I don't think that was really on topic or in the spirit of this community. Apparently people have problems with her coach and that is fine with me although I know nothing about that. But I hope this won't become a gossip site where people make snarky posts nitpicking child gymnasts.

Yeah I have to say, I respect you PL but I don't think that was really on topic or in the spirit of this community. Apparently people have problems with her coach and that is fine with me although I know nothing about that. But I hope this won't become a gossip site where people make snarky posts nitpicking child gymnasts.

I get what you're saying, but I think there are several ways to read PL's post. I took it as more of a criticism of Gedderts program, and I appreciate the point that all the strength in the world can't compensate for sloppiness, lack of proper training, nerves, inexperience, or whatever else may cause form breaks. Perhaps PL was insinuating that Geddert spends too much time on *other* things?

And hey, isn't nitpicking child gymnasts what competition is all about? :)

I get what you're saying, but I think there are several ways to read PL's post. I took it as more of a criticism of Gedderts program, and I appreciate the point that all the strength in the world can't compensate for sloppiness, lack of proper training, nerves, inexperience, or whatever else may cause form breaks. Perhaps PL was insinuating that Geddert spends too much time on *other* things?

And hey, isn't nitpicking child gymnasts what competition is all about? :)

"lack of proper training" !!!!???????

Just wondering where all you others got your conditioning programs?? Geddert has given his program to other coaches to use. It has helped me and my gymnasts more than words can say. So I may be a little biased. I have also seen Delanie train, and my goodness this kid is talented!! She works HARD and shame on anyone who discredits that because of bias towards her coach!

She had a flexed foot…too bad she lost that .05. Who knows if Kathryn had pointed it out before (I'm gonna guess she had, but it was the first big competition and got looked over). Conditioning had nothing to do with this. Geddert's gymnasts are consistently well-rounded and much of it is due to his/his staff's coaching abilities. If anyone wants to PM me and tell me the atrocities he has apparently committed, I DO have an open mind and would love to hear them.

Until then…he has personally helped me become such a better coach without even knowing me, and his gymnasts are phenomenal. My kids have also attended his camp and I can't even express how professional and optimistic an experience it was for them. Please don't nitpick 13 year old kids who are working their hardest to make their dreams come true. It's disgusting.

His conditioning program works. I have one kid who can do the highest level conditioning (she is level 5/6 and very STRONG/talented). The rest are somewhere along the line, and it's nice to have different "levels" for them. We shouldn't be jealous of the system and should instead be thankful for even more examples of how to train our gymnasts.

"lack of proper training" !!!!???????

Just wondering where all you others got your conditioning programs?? Geddert has given his program to other coaches to use. It has helped me and my gymnasts more than words can say. So I may be a little biased. I have also seen Delanie train, and my goodness this kid is talented!! She works HARD and shame on anyone who discredits that because of bias towards her coach!

She had a flexed foot…too bad she lost that .05. Who knows if Kathryn had pointed it out before (I'm gonna guess she had, but it was the first big competition and got looked over). Conditioning had nothing to do with this. Geddert's gymnasts are consistently well-rounded and much of it is due to his/his staff's coaching abilities. If anyone wants to PM me and tell me the atrocities he has apparently committed, I DO have an open mind and would love to hear them.

Until then…he has personally helped me become such a better coach without even knowing me, and his gymnasts are phenomenal. My kids have also attended his camp and I can't even express how professional and optimistic an experience it was for them. Please don't nitpick 13 year old kids who are working their hardest to make their dreams come true. It's disgusting.

His conditioning program works. I have one kid who can do the highest level conditioning (she is level 5/6 and very STRONG/talented). The rest are somewhere along the line, and it's nice to have different "levels" for them. We shouldn't be jealous of the system and should instead be thankful for even more examples of how to train our gymnasts.

HUH??? Your post is SO off base I just can't even......

I have NO bias for Geddert, and I assume he is a skilled coach because of the gymnasts he produces. I was just defending PL because I think the negative response to the video was overblown. I have no idea what point PL was trying to make, but there are other ways to read the post than the way you are. I just don't really pick up the "snark" that you apparently do. I took it as more of a criticism of the coach, than the child.

Even so, do you really think that pointing out deductions in an elite gymnast's routine is "disgusting"? Seriously? Calling her names and criticizing her looks would be disgusting. Even little level 3's expect to have a flexed foot pointed out.

And, I suspect that elite coaches, like most professionals, expect that their work will be criticized, sometimes fairly, but frequently unfairly. Questioning coaches is just part of sports. Have you ever watched a football game in a sportsbar? :)

Coaching techniques and philosophies are discussed and criticized every day on Chalkbucket, but usually the coach in question remains anonymous. The difference here is that Geddert is a well-known, top-level coach that is publishing training material. I don't really see why his coaching should be above criticism. A public gymnastics forum is a great place to discuss top-level coaches, no? Sure you may disagree with what is said, but to imply that anyone who dislikes Geddert's training is "jealous of the system" is just not okay.

As an aside, I really admire coaches like coachP (and Geddert) who put themselves and their ideas out there, publically, even though there is frequent disagreement. It would be great if Geddert wanted to participate in this forum, and shed additional light on his methods. But, like fans of most other sports, we will probably left to wonder and assume, basing our opinions on what little information we do have. Perhaps we should come up with a name for this....similar to "armchair quarterback" but specific to gymnastics.

I think it's just while she's mounting her back foot is not completely pointed under her on the beam…maybe a .05 deduction if judges are picky.
Another take on the issue, I had Osgood Schlatters as a gymnast (still have the pesky, painful lump) and could not put my knee flat on the beam- requiring an oddly flexed/half pointed foot on positions similar to what Delanie was doing. I have no idea if this is the case with Delanie, but is a possibility. The rest of the routine is pretty clean, especially for a young/new Jr. Elite.

Back on topic, this conditioning has been helpful in developing lesson plans for my pre-team girls. They still lag behind the level 1 skills, though can do a remarkable amount in my opinion for only coming 3 hours/week. I do wish there were videos to go with the list as I am not entirely clear what some of the things are, but hey, you can't get it all for free!

happy, perhaps my post was more strongly worded than I meant it to be. It had been a long day and I was frustrated. It just bums me out to see gymnastics coaches criticizing each other through their kids when it is uncalled for, which is how I took PL's post. The fact is that this thread is not titled "Deductions in this beam routine," or "What do you think of this routine?"…..it is about a specific conditioning program, which is why a comment on a kid's routine was not necessary. Even so, had it been helpful for the discussion then it would be fine. But PL did not point out how Delanie fell on her aerial and then discuss what conditioning would have made her make it. He implied that the conditioning program does not work because this child did not have her foot fully pointed.

Now I'm going to leave it at that and let this thread get back to its topic.

I've got no problem with that, but I don't think there needs to be a name and shame with a kid. If we were talking about weights and a member said their daughter does that exact conditioning, would it be right to post a video of their child with the same text? Your daughter for instance? And say it's not wrong because you're criticizing something else?

There are other sites where these posts are expected. I don't participate in those.

Regardless of PL's intent (which in my opinion was sarcastic critism for Geddert's program, not the gymnast), posting of the video was uncalled for. Could have just made the point with a general comment. If failure to point toes is commonplace in the Geddert gymnasts then people would have no problem finding examples on their own, without shaming a particular gymnast. And as Molly noted, we don't have background as to why this girl isn't pointing. Heck - could just be as simple as she was super nervous and forgot.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back