Parents DD and I no longer speak the same language.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My husband makes up the most AWFUL names for things so that my DD will have to teach him the real stuff just to stop him from embarrassing her. He called casts "crotch thumps" (I know, I know!), and her bronze/gold sole circle dismount a "chocolate star fish" (I have NO clue!). Everything else is a "Monkachenko". He is crazy, but it's very effective. Ha ha ha.

As far as Shaposhnikovas et al., it would've helped if the U.S. Team had been a bit stronger when all these relatively easy, but new-for-the-first-time skills were being named...after 7-syllable Eastern Europeans.

Now that we finally have the easy-to-pronounce, "Biles," it's all moot. None of our children, or anybody's children for the rest of time, will ever be needing their parents to remember it.

Well, we did give to the world the Bhavsar on pbars and the Mikulak on PH. Strongly rooting for continued success and future awesomeness by Kiwan Watts and Kyla Ross . . .
And no one likes the Humphrey on beam.

Be careful because just when you think you know what something is called, e.g. shaposhnikova, they will start using gymnast slang and just call it a "posh" or a "posh half" and then you start over wondering if it's the same thing or something new... Good Luck!

And boys gymnastics terminology is 10x more complicated!

At least you don't have a boy. At some point, when they start talking about gym, it starts sounding like an international invasion force.

This made me giggle, but oh gosh, I'm going to be in so much trouble. I'm already frequently yelled at by DS for calling high bar "bars" instead. I can't help it. After years is DD...

At his recent checkup, DS and his doc had a convo regarding gymnastics and I understood none of it. I just nodded my head like an idiot, and he's only getting ready for level 4, for goodness sake!

Though I still giggle remembering DS calling parallel bars parallello-bars. Now they're just "p-bars". Sigh.

Ah, there you go. There's no handspring in a Yurchenko. Well, not that I could identify, anyway. See, persistently ignorant! hahaha!

Ignorance for me too, but thankfully won't be needing to know this one for ages (it's got something backwards in it and DD is NOT a fan!!) Had to look it up anyway, so off I go to youtube (how did we find out anything before this?)

Liked these, sounds informative to the uninformed :p British accents :)

And boys gymnastics terminology is 10x more complicated!

Seriously?....oh my! Now 6YO DS is at it too...may have to quit my day job so I have time to keep up :D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back