Parents Deductions for not wearing matching leos

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

As much as I feel for you not wanting your kid to wear an ill-fitting Leo... As a coach, I wouldn't let your dd wear the other one either, not until she actually is in the appropriate level. Sounds like that's not too far off in the future anyways though, so hopefully you won't have to deal with the L2 Leo much longer!
Ita with the person who said "think about the other L2" as well....
I have to say that if one of the L3s showed up to a meet wearing one of the L4-up leos, I would be a little miffed because they haven't "earned" that yet (in our team, the 3s wear a tank Leo, everyone else in 4 and up wears a longsleeved comp Leo).
Hope your dd moves up soon!

Maybe bring it to a tailor if it doesn't fit properly.

This was my thought as well. While there may not be a deduction at this level for a slightly ill-fitting leo, I've seen lots of littles distracted by a wedgie or other leo fit issue.

My suggestion would be to take it to a seamstress. Most dry cleaners employ one on staff or can make a recommendation. I tend to agree with the others that it is not appropriate for her to wear the L3 leo when that is not her level. It would be much better to get the correct leo to fit properly.

Definitely no deduction in USAG.
In 2011-12 season, we got new team leotards... the ones in my pic <-- are the "old" leotards. In 2012-13, our new leotards were discontinued and became "special order" only available until Dec. 1. We had 2 girls move up to team after the season started (one in mid-December and one 2 weeks before the January meet)... so they were unable to purchase the matching team leotards. Luckily, a girl who had left team for dance had given her leotard to the gym to sell to another girl. It didn't fit either of the new girls (too big), but did fit OG. We traded OG's leo to the December girl for the bigger one. Then we let the other girl borrow OG's "old" leotard in my pic. It was fine.
There are also teams that we compete against that have had new leotards (same color scheme but different style) and allowed the girls who could wear the old ones wear them instead of forcing parents to buy a new leotard just because the style was cancelled.

Wow, that's a bit rude.

I think the post you find rude is the one that also gives you a brief look into the reality of your situation. The most influential person in your daughter's gymnastics world is the coach, and the coach wants to have it a certain way. I think that's fair and follows the logic that rules are rules, and following them keeps a good team in order.

If you don't like the way the coach leads you can always look for a club with a coach who's lead you can follow. Before doing that consider the caution against throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

I think the post you find rude is the one that also gives you a brief look into the reality of your situation. The most influential person in your daughter's gymnastics world is the coach, and the coach wants to have it a certain way. I think that's fair and follows the logic that rules are rules, and following them keeps a good team in order.

If you don't like the way the coach leads you can always look for a club with a coach who's lead you can follow. Before doing that consider the caution against throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

I don't think her question warranted that level of rudeness. Apparently her coach lied to her (or just didn't know) by saying that it would be a deduction to wear the wrong leo. Couldn't the coach have just said it's team policy? I guess some people have trouble being direct, but if the rule is you have to follow what the coach says, then the coach should just be direct and not start making stuff up about USAG rules. It seems reasonable to want to know what the real USAG rules are, and then go from there.

Okay... I didn't know it was such a big deal. Lol
I didn't think of that leo as something she needs to "earn". I thought the cheap leo was just a way for the parents of the younger children (L1s and L2s) to save some money, since we are only at the beginning of the journey, and our kids might not even stick with it.
The coach did agree with me that those leos don't fit right, it's not just DD, most of the L1 girls have the same problem. But the other girls don't have a choice, it's the only leo they have. But we do. That's what I was thinking.
Now, after reading all of this, I guess I won't be bringing this subject up again, and will be patiently waiting for DD to move up to L3. :)

Also look at it from the lines of the other children in level 2, I can just hear when every one takes off their sweats, "But coachcccchhhhh, why does Suzy get to wear the sparkly leotard and I don't?" Even if there is only 1 other level 2, you may very well find the level 1s and 2s in the same flight/rotation. Coaches have enough to worry about when it comes to meets, different levels have different leos. Optionals traditionally in our old gym got more sparkles than compulsories.
Okay... I didn't know it was such a big deal. Lol
I didn't think of that leo as something she needs to "earn". I thought the cheap leo was just a way for the parents of the younger children (L1s and L2s) to save some money, since we are only at the beginning of the journey, and our kids might not even stick with it.
The coach did agree with me that those leos don't fit right, it's not just DD, most of the L1 girls have the same problem. But the other girls don't have a choice, it's the only leo they have. But we do. That's what I was thinking.
Now, after reading all of this, I guess I won't be bringing this subject up again, and will be patiently waiting for DD to move up to L3. :)

Do you know anyone who has some sewing skills? None of my dd's leos fit her right in the bottom either. We've tried different brands and they all have some issue or another, so I'm thinking that it's her. But even though my sewing skills are really minimal, I've been able to alter all of her leos, including her competition Leo, to fit her well.

Ok. I meant to be brief. Not rude. But...

Some coaches are trying to be diplomatic and non- confrontational by placing the blame on the Leo on non- specific "deductions"...

But... Even though you have the L3 Leo, regardless of fit, it's the L3 Leo - so the L2 is gonna say,
"Why don't I get to wear that Leo?" Then the L3 moms will be all miffed that an L2 is wearing the same Leo and why didn't Susie get to wear the same Leo last year?

My point was, if there is a Leo for the level your DD is competing, she should wear that Leo. Regardless of the reason.

The owner of our gym decides what we wear and everyone wears the same Leo (long sleeve) and warm ups. We get new Leo"s and warmups every two years.

I think the coach was just blaming a deduction for her rule--easier for her and parents can't really argue with a deduction, can they :)? Glad that she'll be moving up soon and the leo issue won't be a problem too much longer.

When during the summer I thought DD would be level 3 this season, I bought a competition leo that all level 3 and up are wearing. Expensive, long-sleeved, nice leo. Then at the end of the summer we were told that she will be in L2, and that L1s and L2s need a different leo. Those were much cheaper, so I didn't have a problem with paying for another leo. The leos arrived a week before the first meet, and they were all huge, at least a size bigger than they should be. After some swapping and exchanging we were able to get a leo that kind of fit, but it's still bigger than it should be at the bottom, and at the meet DD kept tugging at it every 5 seconds.
Now, our next meet is this Saturday. L2s and L3s are competing together - one session, one squad. We only have two L2s, DD and another girl. All L3s will be wearing those nice long-sleeved leos, and we are supposed to where the L2 one. I sooo don't want DD to wear that ugly thing. I cringe every time I'm remembering how uncomfortable she looked in it. So, I asked the coach if maybe DD could wear the same leo as L3s will be wearing, since we have one, and we are all in the same session. But she wasn't sure, she said that sometimes they might get deductions if the same level is not wearing the same leo. Is that true? Have you ever heard of getting deductions for that?
Thanks.

when pigs fly...:)

Coaches - parents these days are savvy, assertive, determined and educated... on a good day. I won't bother with the adjectives that describe our bad days.

It would do us good (and you) by being clear and forthright with your decisions. Don't hide behind BS. Don't pander to us, either. Be strong!

Coaches - parents these days are savvy, assertive, determined and educated... on a good day. I won't bother with the adjectives that describe our bad days.

It would do us good (and you) by being clear and forthright with your decisions. Don't hide behind BS. Don't pander to us, either. Be strong!

If every coach said what they wanted to say on a bad day they would be out of a job and their gym out of business. Yes parents these days are a lot more informed than in the past, thanks mainly to the internet and sites like this. But I also think our jobs as parents and human beings is to understand when a coach says "level 2s wear this leotard and level 3s wear this leotard" that we accept that decision and do not question it. If we do then we are setting a bad example to our children, next time they are told that 2s do this conditioning and 3s do another conditioning; would it be okay for them to question why they have to do different conditioning? Now I'm not saying we should do that if something we see is unsafe or questionable in other aspects, by all means speak up. But for goodness sakes, its a leotard.

Yes parents these days are a lot more informed than in the past, thanks mainly to the internet and sites like this. But I also think our jobs as parents and human beings is to understand when a coach says "level 2s wear this leotard and level 3s wear this leotard" that we accept that decision and do not question it.
I think that's exactly the point upstateNYgymnastics was trying to make. I think her point was that coaches shouldn't have to hide behind deductions, or some other baloney excuse. Instead, they should be frank. And it's okay to tell a parent "no" for the sake of no. People like strong leaders.

If every coach said what they wanted to say on a bad day they would be out of a job and their gym out of business. Yes parents these days are a lot more informed than in the past, thanks mainly to the internet and sites like this. But I also think our jobs as parents and human beings is to understand when a coach says "level 2s wear this leotard and level 3s wear this leotard" that we accept that decision and do not question it. If we do then we are setting a bad example to our children, next time they are told that 2s do this conditioning and 3s do another conditioning; would it be okay for them to question why they have to do different conditioning? Now I'm not saying we should do that if something we see is unsafe or questionable in other aspects, by all means speak up. But for goodness sakes, its a leotard.
Yep. I don't question coach's decisions. It should never get to that with a parent. That's why they need to be shut down early & quickly. Hide behind a made up reason for why a decision was made - about leos, who gets more practice, A team versus B team & it just gives these parents more ammo. No reason is preferable to making something up to get through the moment (and assuming/hoping these parents won't go looking for the "truth" somewhere else.) CB is littered with silly things coaches have said to make something go away, & it's a short term solution. Maybe a few less parents would hound coaches/suggest solutions/question every decision if coaches were firmer/clearer. Maybe not. Maybe coaches would be out of a job. But pandering to parents doesn't seem to be working.

I think we are saying the same thing. Maybe I didn't communicate it very effectively. I'm an advocate for coaches standing firm. In this case, a simple, "L2's wear L2 leo." Repeat as necessary.
And no, coaches aren't perfect, and, yes, parents are 3/4 of the problem and it's too bad they can't be the ones to change. But I hold out more hope for the coaches to put a lid on unhelpful parental involvement, than the parents.

Isn't it a bit extreme? Ok, fine, you convinced me about the leo, I haven't mentioned it to the coach again, and not going to. But to never question the coaches' decisions? Coaches are always right? I disagree with that. I actually like it about our gym, that the coaches are very accessible, I can always talk to them and offer my opinion/suggestion. And they actually listen!
When they decided to hold DD at level 2, I was upset, but we went with it, because the owner promised me that DD would keep working on L3 skills, and will be able to move up as soon as she gets all the skills. I watched the practices for a few weeks, and I didn't see any of the L3 skills to be worked on. So, I talked to the coach, I explained my expectations, and what the owner has promised, and he actually listened. He started working with her on her L3 skills the very next practice, and she got her FHC two weeks later! Now 6 weeks later she has all her skills and is ready to move up. If I just shut up and never questioned the coaches, she would just continued to work on the L2 skills and would be bored out of her mind. Sometimes parents know what's the best for their children, even in gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back