Does anyone make/customise their own leotards?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

when I finally got my samples (3 weeks sheesh) I went with fabric land. Pants website and not great phone service the first time I called but spoke to Max by email and phone and she sent the fabric next day. Its marked as seconds but it looks pretty perfect to me. The club wanted Mystique ( look at the shiny shiny) and it was £ 7 per metre instead of £18, pls £8.50 post. The only thing I wouldn't get again is thier cheap thread - keeps breaking.

Effort 5

FILE0049.jpg

Wow Margo, I'm impressed!

I've bought a sewing machine! I can't find the jalie pattern for sale in the UK though- where was yours from? I want the new plain one rather than the top panel one.

Does anyone have a pattern rec for shorts? I thought they might be easier to start...

got mine direct from canada - I think they do rec shorts too, really easy to order and delivery was about a week. The patterns are lovely as they are multi-size (age 2 to size 18) and they are printed on proper heavyweight paper not tracing paper. As I am making multiple sizes I trace off the size I need as and when.

my latest effort for my niece for Christmas - never doing this again mind took forever to do the patchwork

FILE0068.jpg

FILE0069.jpg

Jalie 3022 - Yoga Pants and Shorts - Jalie Sewing Patterns

hth

got mine direct from canada - I think they do rec shorts too, really easy to order and delivery was about a week. The patterns are lovely as they are multi-size (age 2 to size 18) and they are printed on proper heavyweight paper not tracing paper. As I am making multiple sizes I trace off the size I need as and when.

my latest effort for my niece for Christmas - never doing this again mind took forever to do the patchwork

View attachment 3429

View attachment 3430

Jalie 3022 - Yoga Pants and Shorts - Jalie Sewing Patterns

hth

WOW!!! Those look awesome! That had to take about a lifetime with all the pieces!!

Oh my goodness! That is absolutely spectacular. You are incredible with your leo making skills. Thanks for sharing the finished products with us!

Jalie patterns are available in the UK from habithat Sewing Patterns and www.glitteranddanceuk.co.uk

I just bought a shorts pattern from a Etsy member - it's kind of like ebay but for handmade and vintage goods. The seller is in Australia but sends the pattern electronically - mine arrived in just over 24 hours. I haven't made the pattern up yet but I'm very impressed with the service. The price was $5AUS - which is about £3.40, I received an email with sewing instructions and size chart, instructions on how to assemble the printed sheets into a pattern, and two different patterns - one is for classic fit shorts and one for mini fit shorts - the mini ones are shorter in the legs and lower rise in the body - I guess like you can buy shorts or hipsters from The Zone really. The pattern includes all sizes from age 2 to age 13 in both sizes, and it prints on 4 pages of A4 which you just tape together. I don't know if I'm allowed to put a link on here, and I have no relationship with the seller other than being a satisfied customer, but if you go to the etsy website and search for gymnastics shorts pattern she'll come up. She also has leotard and other patterns listed

Man Iwannabemargo, those are BEAUTIFUL!!! Crazy good.
If you ever start selling...keep me in mind ;)
And I can imagine how that quilt looking one took forever! But it looks great!

So I've attempted my first leo from scratch.

Some bit are a bit wonky, but overall it looks like a leotard :D.

I used the Jalie unitard/biketard pattern, and the fit just seems off. Compared to her Milano leo's they're about 1-1.5" wider for the same length. So it doesn't stretch nicely around the torso, and when she stands properly the fabric tents out from the small of her back, if you see what I mean, so it doesn't touch from the top of her buttocks to her rib cage. Length wise it seems fine- any longer and it would ride up as it's quite high cut.

The neckline doesn't sit right either- I did the sew to the wrong side, fold over, double over thing on the pattern. It looks good, but the armholes sit better where I sewed to the right side, then just folded over and stitched to the wrong side.

I read on a sewing blog about sewing the front half of the leg elastic 1:1, and stretching it out along the back half so it's more likely to stay under the buttocks- Anyone tried that?

So the result isn't really wearable, but I've learned a lot, especially considering I've never used a sewing machine before!!

Any ideas? I've ordered the pattern off the Etsy seller mentioned up thread, and I'll try that, plus the Jalie swimsuit pattern. See if the fit is my technique or the pattern. At least it'll be practice!

I customise all my daughters leotards and use lots of lovely crystals. The best places to buy from in the UK are either xxxxxxxxx for the real SWAROVSKI stones or if you want something a little less expensive use a cheaper crystal called Preciosa which is similar - we got ours recently from xxxxxxxxx, really reasonably priced and lots of colours and choices on offer.

The also sell the hotfix applicator wand which is really easy to use, it activates the glue on the back of the hotfix crystal and you can just dab the crystal into place or you can glue them on using their No Hotfix crystals and GemTac glue - we've tried both.

Last edited by a moderator:
I customise all my daughters leotards and use lots of lovely crystals. The best places to buy from in the UK are either xxxxxxxxx for the real SWAROVSKI stones or if you want something a little less expensive use a cheaper crystal called Preciosa which is similar - we got ours recently from xxxxxxxxx, really reasonably priced and lots of colours and choices on offer.

The also sell the hotfix applicator wand which is really easy to use, it activates the glue on the back of the hotfix crystal and you can just dab the crystal into place or you can glue them on using their No Hotfix crystals and GemTac glue - we've tried both.

Welcome to the Chalkbucket. I removed the websites from your post as I am uncomfortable with first time posters promoting websites. Stick around and join in the fun.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back