Parents DP or Xcel?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Do you think there is value in doing DP over xcel if your gymnast doesn’t necessarily have D1 gymnastics as a goal?

In our area most gyms pick a few kids who they see college or elite potential in, and funnel the rest to xcel. Our gym doesn’t do this as much, they basically let whoever wants to put in the work do DP and don’t train DP as intensely. So our DPs don’t win as much as other gyms at meets, but they do progress and grow in the sport.

My daughter is just about to move to level 6. Optionals comes with 5 day a week practices. She used to be all about getting to college gymnastics, but has more recently expressed she doesn’t really see that for her future. So now I’m wondering if we should consider switching to xcel so she has more time to explore other interests. But I hate the thought of getting through compulsories only to stop once you reach the big goal of optionals. She and I are both torn on this.

She’ll have the fun of competing her own routines in Xcel just like she would have in Optionals. I would only stick with DP if she wants gymnastics to be her main focus and wants to be in the gym all of the time. The possibility of college gym wouldn’t enter the equation for me.

If she has the potential to reach college level (= in regard to her own potential and age timing and the gym coaches' ability) then I would lean toward keeping her in DP. I would much rather set her up for that potential in case she wants it later on then to switch and and have her regret it. Having said that, if she is clearly showing signs that she wants to expand her interests and is not as invested in the sport, meaning she is leading this possible transition, then I would leave it to her.

She could always do a year of level 6 and see what she thinks.

As a coach, I personally love the xcel program. I have seen kids stay in the sport much longer because of it. Our gym is very low hours on top of it, and it was just really fun to hear about all the other things the kids were involved in as well. We also became Xcel only in 2020 and a lot of "our" kids who left to pursue DP at other gyms have since found their way back to us. I think gymnastics is a wonderful sport but that for a lot of kids and families, the time commitment and other pressures just become overwhelming. I think Xcel is great because it gives the benefits of competitive gymnastics without being all consuming.

She could always do a year of level 6 and see what she thinks.

As a coach, I personally love the xcel program. I have seen kids stay in the sport much longer because of it. Our gym is very low hours on top of it, and it was just really fun to hear about all the other things the kids were involved in as well. We also became Xcel only in 2020 and a lot of "our" kids who left to pursue DP at other gyms have since found their way back to us. I think gymnastics is a wonderful sport but that for a lot of kids and families, the time commitment and other pressures just become overwhelming. I think Xcel is great because it gives the benefits of competitive gymnastics without being all consuming.
As a parent I LOVE the Xcel program. My Dd was hesitant to move over to xcel at first, and her gym said if she had the skills she could go back to dp later if she wanted. 2 weeks after switching she did not want to ever go back to dp. She's been very successful competition wise in xcel, while also spending a good amount of time on another sport and having more time for friends and school. She's made new friends in xcel and she's closer to them she ever was with friends in dp. Most important of all, she's happy.

Does she enjoy training and her current training mates? If so, I would just leave her be for now unless you financially/logistically will struggle as a family. If she has expressed the desire to do other things then perhaps you can start a conversation about supporting her to find an option that will allow her to find an option that balances her goals/happiness.

Competitions are only a small part of the time in the sport even if meets get a lot of attention - Allow her to train in the program she enjoys the most at this point in time, and if that means less hours so she can do other activities then Xcel is perfect.

I would never choose a 5-day per week training schedule for my child, unless there was absolutely nothing else on the planet that would make them happy. Training high hours is dangerous and the opportunity costs are massive. Xcel is the better choice for most gymnasts.

My daughter switched over to Xcel Diamond after one season of level 8, and has no regrets about the 5 days a week life she lived for levels 6-8. She says that she had the best time in the gym during those years with her best friends, and because she had such a solid foundation she was able to wrap up the last few years of her career as a successful Diamond while also doing high school sports. It helped that several of her friends also switched to Diamond. She is now doing track at a DIII school. It also helped that she was part of an amazing program that supported her personal gymnastics and life goals.

We've been in both, at 2 different gyms. At both, hours/cost were relatively similar (12 hours silver, 14 hours gold, 16 hours level 5/6/platinum). She's loved Xcel and her team a lot more than the DP side of things and interestingly her form has improved drastically this year (in Xcel) compared to DP but that's because she has an amazing and deeply experienced coach. All that to say - do what makes sense for your family in terms of cost, logistics, distance, teammates, etc. My kiddo thinks college is still a possibility for her (she's 10) and we'll likely make a choice soon to stay on the DP side if she really feels strongly about it. But I have zero expectations about college - I know amazing L10s that are still uncommitted. The required talent is INSANE.

My girls have done both. Pros and cons of each. Depends on their age, level, gyms in your area, outside interests. Consider picking an xcel gym and go watch some practices. If Xcel state is still in your area watch that session. Might help you make a decision to see what the other girls are doing. Good luck. You can always switch back and forth even though coaches or gyms might tell you otherwise.

I don't look at D1 college as a reason to stay or go from DP. You should really look more at what makes your daughter happy, is the coaching good, is the environment helping her grow as a gymnast and as a woman.

If it were my daughter and she was on the fence, I would say 'stay' for Level 6 and see how it goes. You can always switch after L6. For my daughter it was so important to get to Optionals. She was elated after her first L6 meet. She is highly likely to switch to XCEL this coming year but does not regret 1 day of DP.

If it were my daughter and she was on the fence, I would say 'stay' for Level 6 and see how it goes. You can always switch after L6. For my daughter it was so important to get to Optionals. She was elated after her first L6 meet. She is highly likely to switch to XCEL this coming year but does not regret 1 day of DP.

Very much agree. It's about more than college, it's about experience and the thrill of setting and reaching goals, whatever those goals might be (make a certain level, get a certain skill, achieve a certain score, etc.). Not to mention how those gymnastics goals play along with whatever else the athlete wants to do in their life.

Seems to me that's what should dictate the path they take and which program they will want to opt for. For some, DP is a clear choice, for others it's totally XCEL. Having choices is a blessing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back