Anon DP Vaults- scenarios in meets allowing 3 attempts?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ORgymmom

Proud Parent
We were at a meet this weekend and just when us parents thought we’d figured out how these things work, we saw some girls doing 3 vault attempts.

This was a sanctioned, USAG meet and the session was for Level 3s. I’m wondering if we missed an obvious explanation for the situation or if there is a loophole that allows 3 attempts? I thought it was 2. Am I crazy?

The gymnasts who did the 3 attempts were properly saluted by the judges and all of that. They made it over the mat stack used in Level 3 for their first 2 attempts but ended up sitting down flat or on their bottoms on the floor both times. They had to push up with their hands to then stand up and salute. Their third attempts landed on their feet with hops and those seemed to be the scores that counted.

I guess I want to know how our team can get these magical 3rd attempts!

Were the multiple attempts just on vault? Or other events too? It sounds like a situation of competing a level out-of-session (even though score outs aren’t required at that level).

Were the multiple attempts just on vault? Or other events too? It sounds like a situation of competing a level out-of-session (even though score outs aren’t required at that level).

Just attempts on vault, and they were competing the level 3 vault along with every other athlete in that season. They were level 3s who we recognize and have seen all season.

Here are the rules...

Vault-L3.jpg

Thank you! That is helpful. I guess this falls under #2 if they landed on their bottom both times? It’s a bummer for the girls that landed on their feet twice but had bent legs in flight or other deductions. They scored lower than those girls’ 3rd attempts.

The rules are the rules so it’s a good learning opportunity for me and them. And maybe in the long run girls who can hit in 2 attempts will be in a better place than girls taking the 3rd.

Thank you! That is helpful. I guess this falls under #2 if they landed on their bottom both times? It’s a bummer for the girls that landed on their feet twice but had bent legs in flight or other deductions. They scored lower than those girls’ 3rd attempts.

The rules are the rules so it’s a good learning opportunity for me and them. And maybe in the long run girls who can hit in 2 attempts will be in a better place than girls taking the 3rd.

The rules are the rules so it’s a good learning opportunity for me and them. And maybe in the long run girls who can hit in 2 attempts will be in a better place than girls taking th

Remeber this is just level three…scores really don’t matter much at all, and performance here is definitely NOT an indicator of success later on. That gymnast that had two falls probably had a lot of mental stress going on, and being able to pull it together to complete a vault after that was a probably a big win for her, and should be celebrated. I would be careful about getting too “competitive” with other gymnasts, and just focus on your athletes goals and performance .

.The rules are the rules so it’s a good learning opportunity for me and them. And maybe in the long run girls who can hit in 2 attempts will be in a better place than girls taking the 3rd.
Meh, not really. This is L3, a level that many gyms don't even compete...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back