Parents Finally DD will get to compete!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

N

NGL780309

So we got a schedule for 3 meets in the spring. DD will be 6 so she's eligible to compete finally. The first meet is in Cancun and we won't go to that one. It's way too much money to spend for a first meet at Level 4. The other two are more reasonable. Both are really big invites. I thought DD would be really excited because one is in Orlando and we could go to Disney. I told her about the meet and she burst in to tears. She so doesn't want to compete. I think I have 4 months to convince her to at least try. I really believe that once she does it, she'll be fine. She's just nervous because it's something new. This is the situation where I have to bring on the bribes. All I want for her to do is go and try. I don't care if she does well or falls on every skill. I just don't want her to go out on the floor and stand there and cry. One of the Level 9's mom's was telling me her DD did that level 4 and they look back and laugh.

What else can I do to get her excited about competing? If she goes and hates it, I won't force the issue, but I think she should try. This is her personality. I have to drag her kicking and screaming to just about everything new. I have a really funny home video of me forcing her to ride a pony on vacation while she screams hysterically. Then my the end she wipes her tears and says, "Can I go again?".

Sounds like if that's her norm, she'll grow to like competing--the first few times just will be tough! And--wow! Your gym goes to meets in Cancun with level 4s?? Where do they take the Optionals??

I for sure would not want a young one's 1st meet to be at one of these big invitationals. There is so much going on and gymnasts going this way/that way, it doesn't even look like the local meets you've been taking her to. I know you have no choice about competing due to age. I believe she might be allowed to participate in a meet doing "exhibition" only until she turns 6. Might be worth checking with your coaches to see if this would be possible so she can try a meet without it being "for real."

Since you go to meets to cheer on her team, can you ask her, what does she see that she thinks would be fun(start with positive) and what might not be as much fun. Maybe you can get her to open up a little about this reluctance to do a meet.

I believe the meet in DinseyWorld that you mentioned is Sand Dollar? That is a huge meet. Multiple gyms and levels competing at the same time.

Sounds like if that's her norm, she'll grow to like competing--the first few times just will be tough! And--wow! Your gym goes to meets in Cancun with level 4s?? Where do they take the Optionals??

These meets are for the optionals, but they have started inviting the lower levels. I think it makes it more affordable for everyone the larger the group.

I for sure would not want a young one's 1st meet to be at one of these big invitationals. There is so much going on and gymnasts going this way/that way, it doesn't even look like the local meets you've been taking her to. I know you have no choice about competing due to age. I believe she might be allowed to participate in a meet doing "exhibition" only until she turns 6. Might be worth checking with your coaches to see if this would be possible so she can try a meet without it being "for real."

Since you go to meets to cheer on her team, can you ask her, what does she see that she thinks would be fun(start with positive) and what might not be as much fun. Maybe you can get her to open up a little about this reluctance to do a meet.

I believe the meet in DinseyWorld that you mentioned is Sand Dollar? That is a huge meet. Multiple gyms and levels competing at the same time.

Great ideas!

Do you know anything else about competing exhibition? I'd really like to check in to that. I had even thought about asking our coaches if at the next meet they would let her sit out on the floor with the girls and rotate to their events. Just to have her out there and ease slowly into it. I know they aren't supposed to be on the floor if they aren't competing, but some meets are pretty lax about those rules.

It is the Sand Dollar meet.

I was going to suggest exhibition as well. We have done this at meets hosted at our gym with little girls a few months shy of their 6th birthday. I would suggest asking the coaches and seeing if they could ask any of the more local gyms where you are competing if it would be possible. She could even do only one or two events if that would make her more comfortable. Sand Dollar could be overwhelming for a first meet.

My DD was so nervous at her first meet. In fact after she finished her floor routine (first event for her) my first thought was OMG, she is going to throw up !!!!!!!!!!!!!

But, She didn't. She got something like a 7.95.

By the time she got to vault she was fine

Does her gym do a mock meet before the girls compete? I would also try to do a smaller local meet until she is ready. I would also not talk about it too much since it is not till the spring. It is probally hard starting midseason since she is going to watch her teammates and she can not compete. I remember daughters first meet both the parents and kids were clueless so nobody knew enough to get scared. Maybe taking her to watch her teammates is making her more scared. I would talk to her coaches and maybe they can help her get over her fears. Just let her go to gymnastics and let her have fun she will eventually she will be fine when it comes to competing.

We did the Cancun Classic last year. DD competed as a level 5 there for the first time, it was a good meet for that to happen not much compulsory competition. The year before that, and this January she competed at the Sand Dollar. Looking forward to that meet.

When I went to gym to get DD yesterday I had the chance to talk to the other parents and no way are any of them going to the Orlando meet. They all think it's too much money and they don't want their kids missing school. So I decided I wouldn't take DD either.

She gets in the car and tells me that she has decided she will compete at the Disney meet as she calls it. I was really surprised. She told me that she is just going to pretend it is practice and that I have to promise her that nobody will clap for her. I told her I wouldn't even watch if she didn't want me too. She said she didn't care if I watch, I just can't clap and I have to tell everyone else not to clap! I was laughing so hard. She gets so embarrassed over the funniest things. Then I had to break the news that we aren't going because nobody else wants to. She asked me why and I told her that it was too much money. She said her daddy would give everyone the money to go! I'm sure he'll appreciate that. I did give her the option of still going and competing alone, but she wasn't up for that.

I think we will attend the other invitational that is much closer and now they offered us another invite in February that is pretty close. Since she softened her stance a little bit I think I'll be able to convince her. The other invite is in Dallas so the Amercian Girl Doll store would be a great carrot to dangle.

I have to add that it took me a long time to get DD to do a pose on floor. She would do her ROBHS and then just walk off because it's embarrassing to do a pose. Meanwhile at home she would practice her routine with a pose. I finally just told her she will do her pose at practice. She did it and on the way home I asked her, "Was it really that embarrassing to do your pose?" Her reply was yes, she had to close her eyes she was so embarrassed. Then I noticed that she closes her eyes every time she does her pose. What a weird kid I have!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back