Floor music question?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MaryA

Proud Parent
Proud Parent
DD is going to be a level 6 this year, so it's the "Matador" music for her this year (not complaining... beats the level 5 "Stripper" music) but watching the Visa Championships with my DD, she loved Gabrielle Douglas's music, and I could totally see my happy, bouncy child having a blast with that upbeat techno music. I was wondering, for future reference, does the music that the "big names" use at the "big events" like that become available for purchase after the fact, or is it their custom stuff, never to be used again?

yes the music does become available but I know at our gym the coaches usually are the ones to have the final say on what music the gymnasts get. At our gym the top 5 choices of the gymnast are given to the coaches so they can see what type of music they like and then they MAY choose one of those, pick something else similar or go totally with the choice they think fits the gymnast and her style of presentation the best. It really seems easy to choose music but I know we have done it twice and it was far from easy.
You have lots of time between now and then too and your DD's music choices may change and the way she presents when she gets to optional may be totaly wrong for that music. You just never know until it's time to choose.

yes the music does become available but I know at our gym the coaches usually are the ones to have the final say on what music the gymnasts get. At our gym the top 5 choices of the gymnast are given to the coaches so they can see what type of music they like and then they MAY choose one of those, pick something else similar or go totally with the choice they think fits the gymnast and her style of presentation the best. It really seems easy to choose music but I know we have done it twice and it was far from easy.
You have lots of time between now and then too and your DD's music choices may change and the way she presents when she gets to optional may be totaly wrong for that music. You just never know until it's time to choose.

Oh, I know. She will probably hear a dozen songs she likes better between now and then, and I have no idea how the selection process will work in the gym... whatever it is, we will go with the flow. Certainly the coaches are highly qualified, where as I am most definitely not (at least not in gymnastics). I was mostly just curious if and how the songs that we hear at Visa and similar become available to the public.

I know my DD's coaches won't let them choose music from popular gymnasts like that. They say its just too identified with that gymnast and you never know how a judge is going to react.

Also My dd must have listened to over a hundred songs. I told her when she gets it down to the top 10 I would give my opinion. After a few weeks it all starts to sound the same LOL.

You may never find the exact edit you heard at a national meet, but usually you can get pretty close. Thing is I would stay away from music just used(I know you won't be using it this year) at a nationals or Olympics since people will tend to say, "didn't ____ just use that for her floor routine?"
I agree with Cher that Gabrielle's music may be a little too "techno" for many coaches. Have your dd jot down titles of music she hears. Then when the time comes, you have some idea of what she likes although as was said, that can change alot too.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back