Parents Form a maturity issue?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Raquel

Proud Parent
Hi All,

This is my first time posting. My daughter is 6 years old and has been doing gymnastics for two years. She is on a team which is preparing for level 5. She can do all of the skills, however, her form is not great. For example, no matter how many times the coach (or I) remind her to straighten her legs and point her toes during her routine, she just doesn't do it. She only does it if someone is standing in her face telling her to do it as she's doing the move. But then left on her own, she goes back to her bent legs and flexed feet.

I asked her coach if the bent legs were the result of a flexibility issue, and she said they were not. It seems to me like more of a focus issue.

So do you guys think her attention to detail will improve as she gets older, or is she just not a good gymnast?
(I know that she's actually the strongest one on her team, but this doesn't necessarily mean she'll be a good gymnast). The coaches seem to think she's got potential, but she never scored well in her level 4 meets because of the sloppiness. Please share your personal experiences with me.

Thanks!

I've noticed my daughters form has improved SO much this year, she just turned 9. So I think some of its a maturity issue, but then there are some younger little girls that just seem to be born with great form.

It could be a lot of things, here's a short list to get you started....

Gymnastics is fun, so who cares about form (her thinking)

Age and inability to hold a thought in such a stimulating environment

She's not receiving the information she needs, the way she needs it. Many coaches at level 4 and 5 think they can just say the majic words, "keep your legs straight", and it will happen. She may need frequently repeated 30 second tutorials on what her muscles need to do to keep her legs straight, and toes pointed.

Nobody has convinced her in a meaningfull way that learning gymnastics is easier when you keep your legs straight, and she just isn't concerned about keeping them straight to score higher at gym meets.

IMO, it all gets better with time, but the longer she takes to come around, the later she will start really learning the skills the way there supposed to be done. Since she's only six, and still needs "play" in her life, you should probably limit your encouragement to observations about how much "easier" the skills look when she has good form, or other "lite" positives like that.

I hope this helps!!

I've noticed my daughters form has improved SO much this year, she just turned 9. So I think some of its a maturity issue, but then there are some younger little girls that just seem to be born with great form.
Thank you for giving me hope! :)

It could be a lot of things, here's a short list to get you started....

Gymnastics is fun, so who cares about form (her thinking)

Age and inability to hold a thought in such a stimulating environment

She's not receiving the information she needs, the way she needs it. Many coaches at level 4 and 5 think they can just say the majic words, "keep your legs straight", and it will happen. She may need frequently repeated 30 second tutorials on what her muscles need to do to keep her legs straight, and toes pointed.

Nobody has convinced her in a meaningfull way that learning gymnastics is easier when you keep your legs straight, and she just isn't concerned about keeping them straight to score higher at gym meets.

IMO, it all gets better with time, but the longer she takes to come around, the later she will start really learning the skills the way there supposed to be done. Since she's only six, and still needs "play" in her life, you should probably limit your encouragement to observations about how much "easier" the skills look when she has good form, or other "lite" positives like that.

I hope this helps!!

Yes, that does help and I think it's most of the things you mention. We recently switched to a new gym that focuses a lot more on form. I wish we'd been at this gym from the beginning, but at least we're here now. And unlike the old gym where the coach would just say "straight legs", this gym is much, much more hands on, and they insist on good form. It's good to know that you think it all gets better with time. Hopefully, it will be true for my daughter. Thanks again for sharing your insights with me.

It should improve as she gets older. But I would suggest you enrol her in some ballet lessons, at this stage in her training she has time for ballet and gymnastics, but she won't when she is older. What ballet does at this early age is get the kids into long term habits of good posture and straight legs and pointed toes.

It should improve as she gets older. But I would suggest you enrol her in some ballet lessons, at this stage in her training she has time for ballet and gymnastics, but she won't when she is older. What ballet does at this early age is get the kids into long term habits of good posture and straight legs and pointed toes.

Interesting you mention that. I was actually wondering if ballet would help, and now I'm going to seriously look into it. Thank you!

she's 6. you'll notice how things will improve by time she's 9.:)

Some kids seem to be born with it (my oldest), others develop it (my youngest). Up until this year, I despaired of my youngest ever pointing her toes. Now at age 8 she does a marvelous job of it and her form has improved immeasurably. There's always hope!

Mine started looking much better after she turned 7. Once she realized she wanted to win, and that how she did things made the difference between winning or losing, her form got much better.

Mine started looking much better after she turned 7. Once she realized she wanted to win, and that how she did things made the difference between winning or losing, her form got much better.

Thanks. That might help my daughter as well. She doesn't totally get the whole scoring thing right now. :)

Some kids seem to be born with it (my oldest), others develop it (my youngest). Up until this year, I despaired of my youngest ever pointing her toes. Now at age 8 she does a marvelous job of it and her form has improved immeasurably. There's always hope!

That is so great to hear. Thank you!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back