Gymnasts Grips or no grips?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have been wearing grips for 2 months and there are a few problems with that. First of all, I got my kip with them and they're with straight arms and I've been able to cast out of them most times. I have realized that I slip off less while wearing them despite the fact that I flung myself off the high bar once. My coaches want me to wear them so I can get used to the feeling more for the future. The problem is that I have to compete gold and I'm scared off going for a backhip circle. I can do a double backhip circle and a clearhip without them and when I attempted a backhip circle with grips one hand slipped off and now I'm scared to do anything backwards. If I stopped using grips I would probably be doing a pretty good gold routine but I can do barely anything except kips and tap swings so what should I do? If I took off my grips would I still be able to do a kip and whats the difference? Anyway thanks!

I have been wearing grips for 2 months and there are a few problems with that. First of all, I got my kip with them and they're with straight arms and I've been able to cast out of them most times. I have realized that I slip off less while wearing them despite the fact that I flung myself off the high bar once. My coaches want me to wear them so I can get used to the feeling more for the future. The problem is that I have to compete gold and I'm scared off going for a backhip circle. I can do a double backhip circle and a clearhip without them and when I attempted a backhip circle with grips one hand slipped off and now I'm scared to do anything backwards. If I stopped using grips I would probably be doing a pretty good gold routine but I can do barely anything except kips and tap swings so what should I do? If I took off my grips would I still be able to do a kip and whats the difference? Anyway thanks!
my coaches told me once you start jumping to the high bar to get grips. you can still technically do your kip and tap swings without grips, but i bet you will get rips more often. i would try to wear grips and go for your skills, ask for a spot from your coaches if you are too afraid but once you do it once you’ll probably get used to it :)

I can't tell you what to do but I can tell you my experience and some general advise:
When I started with grips, the back hip circle was suddenly a bit scary. I never thought it was scary before then. Not feeling the bar normally made it feel weird. I started grips a lot earlier, so I only had a kip and hip circles, no clear hip circle. It's been a year now since I started using grips and I dont regret pushing through it. I rip so much less and less severely, and I'm completely used to the grips now.
At first when I had grips, I switched between grips and bare hands (so like 15 min grips 15 min bare hands) for the first few weeks. That way I could get used to them gradually. I don't know if that works for everybody though, but maybe it's something to consider. I would advise if you try that, always do with grips first, so you dont start avoiding it. You can always see if you can get used to it before the first meet, and otherwise do the meet with bare hands and the next meet with grips? If any of this looks like a good idea to you, discuss it with your coach.
As for the back hip circle: there are many ways to get over such fears. You can try asking a coach to spot a few untill you get more comfortable again, or you can do some build-up exercises towards it again? In my case, just trying over time helped with the fear and the feeling in it. Focus on getting the technique right and go step by step if need be.
If at all possible, discuss this with your coach, you could even show them this thread if you think it'd help?

In short
- I had similar issues but for me it was worth the effort and time of switching to grips
- Maybe do on and off untill you're more comfortable for a few practises?
- Treat the back hip circle with grips as you would treat any fear.

PS. In a way you can see the skills without grips as drills you've done for the skills with grips. You're 90% there, but the last bit of learning with the grips requires training just like anything else in gymnastics does.

I can't tell you what to do but I can tell you my experience and some general advise:
When I started with grips, the back hip circle was suddenly a bit scary. I never thought it was scary before then. Not feeling the bar normally made it feel weird. I started grips a lot earlier, so I only had a kip and hip circles, no clear hip circle. It's been a year now since I started using grips and I dont regret pushing through it. I rip so much less and less severely, and I'm completely used to the grips now.
At first when I had grips, I switched between grips and bare hands (so like 15 min grips 15 min bare hands) for the first few weeks. That way I could get used to them gradually. I don't know if that works for everybody though, but maybe it's something to consider. I would advise if you try that, always do with grips first, so you dont start avoiding it. You can always see if you can get used to it before the first meet, and otherwise do the meet with bare hands and the next meet with grips? If any of this looks like a good idea to you, discuss it with your coach.
As for the back hip circle: there are many ways to get over such fears. You can try asking a coach to spot a few untill you get more comfortable again, or you can do some build-up exercises towards it again? In my case, just trying over time helped with the fear and the feeling in it. Focus on getting the technique right and go step by step if need be.
If at all possible, discuss this with your coach, you could even show them this thread if you think it'd help?

In short
- I had similar issues but for me it was worth the effort and time of switching to grips
- Maybe do on and off untill you're more comfortable for a few practises?
- Treat the back hip circle with grips as you would treat any fear.

PS. In a way you can see the skills without grips as drills you've done for the skills with grips. You're 90% there, but the last bit of learning with the grips requires training just like anything else in gymnastics does.
Thank you so much! This gives me a lot of motivation as I thought I would have to try to compete this season without grips. I definitely will do both, I think I'll take them off halfway through bars and hopefully that will work

When I first started with grips, I hated them. I felt I was gonna peel off all the time since my hands couldn't feel the bar. But I saw everyone else (especially gymnasts in higher level than me) using them so I pushed through and used them everyday. A couple months later (and now!) I can't do basically anything on bars without grips. Bonus: RIPS HAVE REDUCED IMMENSELY. I like the suggestions above - training both and competing what you're comfortable with. Something else to consider is narrow grips - they help you feel the bar with your hands more while still having that piece of leather b/w them (I haven't used them but seen others use them)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back