WAG Grips sizing help!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Amber

Proud Parent
Now that DD, 8, has level 5 bars down pat, her coach recommended pixie grips as a Christmas gift. I bought her grips from Ten-0.com. The only issue, her hands have grown since I measured her a few months ago! The sizing said to get size 00 for palms measuring 5-5 1/2 inches. She is now exactly 5 1/2 inches. Will these be too small or do they stretch? I hope she is not getting a disappointment for Christmas...

They will stretch. And some girls like them small anyway. My dd wears a size smaller than she is supposed to because she hates the excess leather.

My dd has pixie grips, too, from the same company. Same issue...on the top edge of the size she is in. But they DO give and stretch, so your dd should be fine.

On a side note...after about 2-3 months, my Level 6 dd has pitched her pixie grips entirely and is back to no grips at all. Yes, pixie grips are designed for those tiny hands, but still...those with smaller hands have a really hard time being successful with grips (or so I have been told). The thought is that there just isn't any room on tiny hands for all that stuff. lol

Her coaches and I are still discussing how to move forward. She is swinging giants (with spot) and the general rule is that once you are doing giants, grips are a must. Of course, there are always exceptions to that rule, so...? Not sure where we will go from here.

My DD uses the Baile grips from DGS gym supply. They come in narrow and wide. She really likes the narrow ones because her hands are small and the leather doesn't cover her whole hand.

My DD uses the Baile grips from DGS gym supply. They come in narrow and wide. She really likes the narrow ones because her hands are small and the leather doesn't cover her whole hand.

I think bulldogs are like this too but the leather may still be bunching up too much in the op's dd small hands. What about having the coach make a pair of tape grips? Would help some for protection and extra grips.

My DD has also always used the bailie beginner dowels. She tends to wear them out after two or three months, but she's training harder skills. The measuring chart online seems wrong, too. She prefers the xsmall size, but would measure at a small.

My 10 yo daughter loves her Ginnasta grips. She has tried all their kinds, velcro, single buckle and double buckle and likes them all. Double buckle are her favorite. She has smallish hands and their narrow is the same size as Hot Shots, only she didn't care for the velcro ones she had. She has also used Bailies narrow dowels (not the beginner dowels) and doesnt care for them either. BEST part about Ginnasta ones are that they don't need to be broken in. She was swinging like normal after 10 or 15 minutes and could kip right away, which makes replacing them easy. Also, customer service there is amazing. You can email them about sizing they respond quickly and are so helpful.

DD loves their wristbands, too, the longer ones, lots of great colors.

She has been using these for a year now, first velcro, then a friend gave her a single buckle pair she hadn't used and finally, she is in the double buckles. She has been in the same pair of double buckles since July and they are still going strong. We love Ginnasta USA!

Well, the pixie grips fit fine. I was told to get them now that her kip is done consistently and correctly...but the coaches do not want her using them for kips! Only basic skills. To get used to them and not endanger the kip form. She will use them fully in a month or so...

It took DD around six months to get a proper kip, so I guess baby steps are the way to go. I'm just glad they fit and she feels proud to have them, like the big girls in the gym:)

I agree with mariposa! Ginnasta grips are the best grips, by far, that I've ever had! I've only tried their double buckle ones--they're amazing. Go check the website and look at the reviews.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back