Grips?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

coxmaryellen70

The gym my DD trains at does not let the girls use grips until after their level 6 season. My daughter is doing giants and other cool stuff without grips. Will it be difficult for her to use the grips? How long does it take to get used to them? She's excited to get them because they older girls in the gym use them and she idolizes them.

I think every coach has their own theory on this, so you'll probably just have to go with what the coach does. It does seem a little late if she's already training giants. It seems like most gyms have them in dowel grips by level 6. That way they get used to them when they're first swinging big before they do giants. Whenever they start wearing grips, it's an adjustment process, but she'll get used to it. It does seem like it's a little harder later. My dd has a friend who's a level 8 and never used grips. The coach is trying to get her to use them now and it seems to be quite a struggle for her.

ya well... I am a lvl 5 and my coach gave them to me last May.
For me they took months to break in I'm not sure why.
Some girls in lvl 7&UP don't even use grips, our coaches only let us have them if we absolutly need them.
Its going to take a while for her to learn all her routine stuff, I mean she has to basically has to restart.
They might not feel like they are helping you until you kinda break them in and get used to them.
My I as why the gymnasts have to wait to get grips?!?!?

The grip adjustment time varies depending on the gymnast. I've known girls who hated them and never wore them, or didn't wear them until L9. Others loved them the moment they got them and were swinging all their skills immediately without difficulty.

As a coach, I've noticed that older, larger, or heavier gymnasts seem to adjust quicker. Younger, smaller, and lighter gymnasts seem to struggle a bit more when they get grips. However, there is no hard and fast rule.

When she gets them, her coach should show her how to put them on, adjust them properly, and help her break them in a bit.

I got my grips in level 5 but I know some dont get them untill level 7. I think that no matter what you skill level is it still will take some time but you will get used to them without too much trouble.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back