Gymnastic coach?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

You don't have to take university classes to be a gymnastics coach. However you could study something which complements your profession. I am completing an undergraduate degree in sports coaching and exercise science. I learn lots of helpful things from that.

Two of DD's coaches have master's degrees in physical therapy and one has a master's in physical education. It's not required, but I can tell you that having two PT's out there scores major points with the parents.

I'm not a coach, but having seen coaches, I would recommend:
Basic psychology course
Basic physiology course
Some course on early childhood development
Some course in effective communications

And also anything that really interests you.

Take a gymnastics class just to see how the college coach teaches the skills. If there are any Kinesiology classes or Bio Dynamics if you like the physics behind the sport. If your major has anything to do with education, that can also be helpful. Coaches are basically teachers and there is a fine line between good teachers and ones that aren't much help.

Good luck

I would like to become a gymnastic coach/teacher what classes would I take in college? Help?

Theater and psychology. If you can keep a captive audience, communicate effectively, and understand how the kids are thinking, you will be among the top-tier of coaches. I would consider these two things to be the absolute most important to study if you want to coach for a living.

Physics, kinesiology, and sports medicine would also be helpful, though they are less important than theater and psych.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back