Parents Gymnasts Who Homeschool

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mine are both back in public school and I MISS HOMESCHOOLING them. I love all the time I have to devote to other things but my first love is homeschooling and if they ever want to come back to it, my homeschool door is open!

I BEGGED my parents to homeschool me growing up. Having ADHD as well as being gifted was not a good combo in school, and I knew that I could have excelled if allowed to move at my own pace (my first indication was my first day in second grade at a public school after two years in private--they asked me if I could read. I looked at them like they were nuts and pulled out my novel. I'd been reading since I entered pre-k). I hope to homeschool my own kids one day. Many kids do thrive in public school. As a teacher, I see so many different types of kids, and some need the daily socialization and structure of a six hour day. Some need a parental figure/positive adult role model in their lives and school is the only place they're getting it. And some kids are flying through the curriculum just waiting for the day they can be leveled and challenged in high school honors and AP classes.

Fwiw, look into the FOSS program for science if you decide to go the homeschooling route. I use it in my classroom, and love the hands-on approach to learning as well as the multiple modalities that each topic is approached with. It's not cheap, but I considered purchasing it myself if my school district wouldn't. Luckily they did and I didn't have to make that decision!

I am homeschooling my daughters, 8 and 6, and that started because of gymnastics. I tried the online schooling, but didn't like it. I have switched to more standard homeschooling and we love it. If they quit tomorrow, the homeschooling will continue. I enjoy having the whole family together every evening. However, last year when my youngest was in PS kindergarten, it was hard juggling their competing schedules. But, that's me. I really don't handle chaos well and need things to be as simple as possible. Perhaps someone looking in wouldn't think that what I'm doing is simple, but less ferrying seems simpler. My two cents for what they're worth.

I really appreciate everyone continuing to give advice/opinions/information. This is definitely not a decision that we will make lightly. We have not decided what to do yet, but I will let you all know once we do! In other news, one of our 8 year old gymnast's little sisters has now started on pre-team (Level 2). She is 5 and in kindergarten and has practice 6 hours/week. I tried to keep her out of the gym as long as possible, but she ran out of things that she could learn safely at home :). Things are a whole new level of crazy now with her practice schedule thrown in the mix!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back