Gyms that have a T&T program, what are your coach to student ratios?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

aerialriver

Coach
Gymnast
Another post on coach to student ratios sparked this question. I know USAG has a recomendation for gymnastics, does the same go for T&T?

Our team is a mix of people who compete and those who do it only for recreation, we have students from 3 to 40 year olds and levels 2-9. Often there are 10 to even 15 people to a coach, and because the gym is full there are no places to set up other stations really so you wait in line for the entire time. Another issue is they try and break it up by age and level but many times you still have level 9's in with 5 year olds, it is not the best as then all the attention has to go to keeping the little ones in line. Safety issues occur as the little ones will hang off the trampolines or sometime even venture under them.

Anyways didn't mean to rant, I really do want to know what other T&T gyms do as far as ratios and how the class is run and how groups are split as well. I am hoping to come up with some good ideas to possibly present to the HC. I just think there has got to be a better way. They won't split classes or reduce the number of kids for money reasons.

Between 1:6 and 1:10 depending on age, event, level, and which kids.

You can run 10 higher level kids on tumbling or double mini without ridiculous amounts of downtime (especially if you have them condition on the way back). Beginner trampoline you want a smaller group. When I set up any trampoline rotation, I have a specific goal for each trampoline (we have a good one and an eh one) & I have several stations (either conditioning or handstand/cartwheel drills, or shape jumps on a minitramp) so they're only sitting for one athlete's turn.

We DO split up our kids quite a bit, or if the group isnt big enough to justify that, sometimes a second coach will supervise a skills-on-double-mini station during trampoline.

T&T is our 'big' thing, so we have several levels of classes & everyone loves them. We had to introduce another level recently.

Levels 2-5 are about 1:7, if there are more than 8 the HC will usually try to find another coach to jump in and help out.
Levels 6-10 practice together, so everyone is at a more advanced skill level and pretty experienced in the gym. There are usually 2-3 coaches who split between 2 events with 8-10 kids in each group, just depends on the day. There is some downtime, especially for the tumbling rotation, and some days the coaches will push conditioning or drills in line, just depends on the day.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back