Hello there!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymMomXcel

Proud Parent
I've been a lurker around here for a while, wanted to go ahead and introduce myself.

I have a daughter who just turned 11. She had a late start to gymnastics (wasn't on my radar!) and had I known she would love it, I would have put her in it much sooner. But, as I tell her (when she gets frusterated and asks me why I didn't put her in gymnastics when she was little) ... I was supposed to have a ballerina!! :) So, I put her in dance class until she was old enough to say she wanted to try gymnastics. She did 2 years of an "Acro" class @ the dance place. Then when we moved we found a gymnastics facility. So, she started in a rec class there when she was about to turn 9. She was moved to a Prep-Op team about 8 or 9 months later. That is what she competed as last year, Novice. Not typically a medal-er, though she got a few and she got a 9th place tie at States on bars. She is now in an Xcel group and I'm not sure what she is competing yet. They've been working on skills, will start routines this month I think. The meet season starts in November. She does 2 three-hour practices a week, plus a 1 hour tumbling class...so 7 hours a week.

Being in Xcel suits her because she has a ton of fear issues and it takes her a long time to work through them. (Finally got her cartwheel side handstand dismount with a twist on the medium beam, but just can't make herself do it on the high beam, etc.. ... She says she knows she can physically do it, but her fear won't let her go for it ..... Finally got her shoot through after fearing that for a while, then fell off and sprained her elbow and hasn't been able to do it again, etc..... stuff like that). She eventually gets things, but progress is slow. But as frusterated as she gets, she loves it and I have really grown to love being a gym mom! I was getting a little too involved last year and I think it just gave her more pressure. So, starting this past Summer I've started just being Mom the driver, and just dropping her off and picking her up and asking how was practice and leaving it at that. I don't ask about specifics unless she offers it on her own! Seems much less stressful for the both of us! I can't wait for meet season, though!

She has a great gym and I love her coaches this year.. they really know how to handle her in all her fearing, emotional, pre-teeny frusterations. That's important to me.

So, there's my book!! :)

P.S. I can't seem to figure out how to be able to post in the Parent forum. Can y'all help?

Welcome!!!!! I love this resource. We were in/out of the sport when Kipper was really young...but she fell in love with it when she turned 5. She is 9 now and her "obsession" is stronger now than ever. I knew NOTHING about gymnastics and only started to learn more about it 2 years ago when I decided she would likely stick with it for a while. Sounds like you are in a great place....great gym, great coaches, and great attitude!

Welcome and good luck in the upcoming season!
To be able to post in Parents forum, go to your profile page, and click on Join Users Group.

You might want to change your user name--unless I'm reading it completely wrong, it looks like you're giving your daughter's birthday there! You'd be amazed to find people WILL be able to figure out where you are from that and the posts you will make here

You might want to change your user name--unless I'm reading it completely wrong, it looks like you're giving your daughter's birthday there! You'd be amazed to find people WILL be able to figure out where you are from that and the posts you will make here

I can't find out how to change my name.

Welcome! my DD was also a late starter at 8. It sounds like she is at a great gym! I will tell you that I think that age has a lot to do with fears as my DD battles her own fears daily at gym! I know some coaches say to start them early before they know to be afraid of it! Good luck with your season! You will find tons of info here!!

...I will tell you that I think that age has a lot to do with fears as my DD battles her own fears daily at gym! I know some coaches say to start them early before they know to be afraid of it! !!

I agree with you 100% and I've heard that, too. I had no idea when she was little, though. I put her in dance class because that's where little girls go (or at least I thought so!). Hindsight...,, :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back