Help with my BHS (Video)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgurl

Coach
Gymnast
Ok well I want to get my standing back handspring looking better because i can do it but its ugly and I know the whole how to squeeze my legs thing but i feel like i can't get over if i don't bend my knees

[video=youtube;qM5-Dkyh7MQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM5-Dkyh7MQ[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
i watched your other video yesterday of random gymnastics at home and there was an amazingly perfect roundoff backhandspring in there where you didnt bend your legs :), sorry i don't have any tips im one of those people who just straighten there legs if they need to haha :p

why thank you :) i remember there was one good one :p but my round off 2 flics was pretty ugly :p i generally good at keeping legs straight but form is always something i struggle with im much more lets chuck it and see how it goes so basically every coaches worst nightmare :p and its just i feel i am going to fall out of it the way i came if that makes sense if i don't bend my knees

I gotta wag my finger at you for doing them on grass! Bad gymmie! I don't know how other coaches feel about it, but I've seen injuries from cartwheels done over a sprinkler head that grass grew over so I'm an avid anti-grass person.

I see you're landing here with bent knees and I don't blame you. You might be intentionally doing this because you're landing on a surface that is terrible for rebounds. If that's the case it's a lot easier to just stay bent throughout the skill than it is to straighten and then bend for the landing. I wouldn't do them on any surface that isn't conducive to rebounds, because then you're not doing the full skill. To Be Clear: I AM SAYING DO NOT TRY TO REBOUND ON GRASS. DO NOT AS IT WILL POSSIBLY WRECK YOUR WRISTS, SHOULDERS, FINGERS, KNEES, ANKLES, OR TOES.

Do you do them like this in gym on a proper tumbling surface?

Last edited:
I know i am a coaches worst nightmare (as mentioned in previous post) but i can't film in the gym but i can tell you that the lawn was freshly mown so there were no hidden sprinklers :p and yes they are somewhat like this in the gym on the sprung floor but i think maybe slightly better on the top tumble strip which is slightly more sprung sorry that i am a bad gymmie!

You posted that video really well, the slow motion parts make it very easy to see the small things you are doing.

Its looking not bad at all, but you are swinging your arms slightly too early, which is causing you to undercut slightly. When performing a BHS the steps should be - sit - push - swings (arms) - snap down. You are pushing back and swinging your arms at the same time which causes the arms to come down underneath you instead of creating backwards momentum.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you're a bad gymmie in an all inclusive sense, just that grass handsprings are a poor choice! Say it with me now: YOU ARE NOT BAD! Okay? Good! I saw your other thread about form. Things like grass tumbling do not help form! You have to be on a safe surface for meaningful skill gains! No grass, no cement, no hardwood, carpet, etc. Obviously this mostly applies to skills involving impact, which only leaves out bridges and handstands pretty much. Though not totally, since if you bend your arms suddenly you could impact your head. You get the idea!

For standing bhs, I usually train them first with a spot where I catch the gymnast in a straight body, feet together. Then they go to handstand, then fall flat on their tummy with their legs straight and together. Progression from that is the actual jump, catching their legs in a handstand, piking down, then falling to their bottom staying in the pike. I do this until they hate them, seriously. Until all memory of bent legs or straddles is out the window. I have no solo drills unfortunately. Though you may try holding a piece of foam or other small, soft object between your feet and practicing. Just make sure nobody is around to get whacked by the object because you will lose it and it goes flying! I know you're eager, but form is HUGE for your skills, so keep it in the gym, and be patient. Skills will come!

Thankyou Aussie_Coach you truly know your stuff :p and good to know that my video posting skills are decent :)

Hey gymgurl, I watched your vid the other day but didn't have time to post, just watched it again and these are my tips:

In the gym:
1) Get yourself a large safety mat, the 30cm deep ones are good. Stand with your back to it, so your ankles are actually touching the mat. Fall backwards with a straight body. As you land, your feet should lift off the floor, but not higher than the mat. In other words, you should be falling into a straight shape, not dished. Do this a few times until you are happy with the feeling. Really try to engage your muscles as you fall - particularly in your stomach, buttocks and legs. It wouldn't hurt to point your toes either!
2) As above but add a little push backwards. I'd do this with the arms by the ears at this stage. Just stand up straight, bend the knees and upon straightening them, push yourself backwards to land flat on the mat.
3) Add in some shapes and arms. Start by standing with a dished body, arms by ears. Ensure your bottom is tucked in and stomach pulled in (pelvic tilt) and that your knees are locked tight. Your start position isn't bad just work on that pelvic tilt and locking your knees:
startposition.jpg

Begin to fall backwards (imagine a piece of string is attached to your belly button, and comes out through your back, gross I know, but still! Then imagine someone is pulling you backwards) As you begin to lean swing your arms down and back. At this point your knees should be in front of the rest of your body.
shoulderstoofarforwards.jpg
As you can see your shoulders are too far forwards at this point. Where your shoulders should be:
wherebackshouldbeatthispoint.jpg

Now jump backwards onto your back again. Really think about extending your knees. Push them into the floor andreally try and launch yourself backwards by extending your knees.
4) Now remove the mat, but add in a spotter. Do your bhs with a spot, over and over again. Your coach will be able to stop you mid bhs and correct any shapes. I notice on your video that at around 5 seconds, you start to move your feet.
footmovement.jpg

This completely eradicates any 'lean' that you may have done previously as your shoulders will be even further forwards than they should be. With a spot you will be able to gain confidence to lean and jump without shuffling your feet. With a spot you will also learn the correct 'arm swing' timings. I usually say to my gymnasts, Stand, Lean/Fall, Begin to swing arms down, as arms get level with hips, jump backwards and swing arms quickly upwards.
As you jump back into the bhs think about making a long rainbow shape with your body. This position isn't bad, however had you pushed your feet into the ground more on take off your bhs would have been longer, thus making it easier to keep legs straight.
arch.jpg

Unfortunately what happens in your bhs is that your hands come down pretty close to where your feet have just been I've drawn a red line on this one to show roughly what your body position should be
yourposandwhereitshouldbe.jpg

As for the 'snap' from hands to feet, I'd work on donkey kicks over and over again, with straight legs. Get your coach to spot you and correct shapes.

Your bhs really isn't that bad, but there are lots of little things that can be fixed to make the whole thing look and feel better, particularly really learning the timing and to push your legs straight. Good luck - If this post has been helpful I'll do a similar one for the second part if you'd like.

I think it is great that you care about improving your form as I've said in another of your posts, so I hope this post has been encouraging rather than 'picky'!

You posted that video really well, the slow motion parts make it very easy to see the small things you are doing.

Its looking not bad at all, but you are swinging your arms slightly too early, which is causing you to undercut slightly. When performing a BHS the steps should be - sit - push - swings (arms) - snap down. You are pushing back and swinging your arms at the same time which causes the arms to come down underneath you instead of creating backwards momentum.

that ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I really hope if you take any of this well intentioned advice that you only try it in the gym. The grass isn't the place for tumbling. The ounding on your joints is just not worth it.

Thread closed, due to my fear of litigation. Your broken neck, your mad parents, our poor well intentioned coaches etc etc!!!

Thread is closed due to my whole fear of litigation. You tumbling on grass, your broken neck, your mad parents, our well intentioned coaches getting sued etc etc.

Those tips should ONLY be tried in a gym with supervision of a coach.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back