Parents High School gymnastics requirements

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Good morning everyone. Does anyone knows for Illinois, what does it take to be accepted in the high school gymnastics team? What level should the gymnast be? When are usually the tryouts and are these information posted online or we have to ask the school beforehand? Thank you in advance.

I used Google to find the rules and the start of the season: https://www.ihsa.org/Sports-Activities/Girls-Gymnastics

The school will certainly advertise when the season is starting, practices, tryouts, etc, but it may just be an announcement or flyer at the school. The skill level accepted often varies school to school, as some schools may have more higher level athletes and others may take almost anyone and then just not have 10.0 start values. Our xcel diamonds tend to do well in high school gymnastics, but the golds make the team too. I'm assuming you're posting on behalf of your daughter, so I would tell her to keep an eye out for anyone wearing a My High School Gymnastics shirt and then she could ask them if she wants to know ahead of time. Her club coach likely also has at least a vague idea.

I used Google to find the rules and the start of the season: https://www.ihsa.org/Sports-Activities/Girls-Gymnastics

The school will certainly advertise when the season is starting, practices, tryouts, etc, but it may just be an announcement or flyer at the school. The skill level accepted often varies school to school, as some schools may have more higher level athletes and others may take almost anyone and then just not have 10.0 start values. Our xcel diamonds tend to do well in high school gymnastics, but the golds make the team too. I'm assuming you're posting on behalf of your daughter, so I would tell her to keep an eye out for anyone wearing a My High School Gymnastics shirt and then she could ask them if she wants to know ahead of time. Her club coach likely also has at least a vague idea.
Thank you for your feedback. We have few more years until high school. My daughter is 10 years old and just started the Level 2 team through the park district which is Gijom. She was just wondering would she even have a chance in high school. She thinks she is late in the game with gymnastics...

That's probably going to vary widely on the school and how many girls they have interested in making the team. Our HS team is not very strong and it's a no-cut sport. If you're walking and breathing they will take you.

Why don't you see if your high school has a team, get the schedule, and attend a few meets? You will see what level they are. Get to know the coach a bit, tell her your child is interested in high school gymnastics. Level 2 at 10 years old might be a little behind, but it's worth a look. I ws a high school gymnast in Indiana (a long time ago) and it was a great experience.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back