Parents Hotel stays with meets - Just venting

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

That is really awful. I've never heard of that! Good forewarning though!
Well I ended up calling the Hilton today. I was paying my bills online and notices a $50 charge for today!!! I checked out 2 days ago!! How could there be a $50 charge today? The BS they told me had my blood vessels ready to burst. Ok you know when you check into a hotel they swipe your credit card to have on file for possible incidentals? Well they not only swipe it but do a $50 charge to the account so they are already paid at least $50 for the extras you might use even before you finish checking in!!!!! I'm like what are you talking about we didn't have any extra charges. Oh they know but this is how they do it then in 3 - 5 business days they will REFUND the $50!! I've never heard of such a practice - you know I went off on the poor gal just trying to do her job at the other end of the phone but seriously these are poor customer service policies for a Hotel - Never again will I go to a Hilton or Hilton family hotel!! I will stay in a tent first Sheesh With all these extra charges and taking monies just in case you think the Hilton was on the verge of bankrupcy

well, how else would daddy pay for Paris's indiscretions and worldly travels? :)

What I do is make the reservation for any night that you *might* need. Then, once the schedule comes out, you can cancel accordingly.

It is unfortunate that that is what you have to do. That is probably why the block is filled---people haven't canceled reservations that they don't need yet....

This is what I always do for work conferences.

It is also a good idea to join the frequent traveler program for every hotel chain you ever stay in. I don't think it's ever prompted a hotel to find me a room at a group rate when the block was full, but it can sometimes score you a free upgrade or improve your negotiating power over the nickel and dime charges if the hotel staff sees that you are a repeat customer. And the Marriott hotels run a promotion called "MegaBonus" a couple times a year that allows you to earn a free night very quickly.

This is what I always do for work conferences.

It is also a good idea to join the frequent traveler program for every hotel chain you ever stay in. I don't think it's ever prompted a hotel to find me a room at a group rate when the block was full, but it can sometimes score you a free upgrade or improve your negotiating power over the nickel and dime charges if the hotel staff sees that you are a repeat customer. And the Marriott hotels run a promotion called "MegaBonus" a couple times a year that allows you to earn a free night very quickly.

thats the sad part I AM a member of the Hilton Honors program and it didn't do me a darn bit of good!! I also belong to the Marriott program and I have to say it's going to be the Marriott family of hotels from now on.

I think the entire hotel industry has gone downhill in recent years. I don't think it's just Hilton.....it's across the board.

I do most of the negotiating to get discounted block of rooms for our out of state meets. A large part of getting what you want is getting the right person. Many representatives are given authority to offer 'freebies', discounts, etc. If you get a representative that is in a bad mood, they will most likely not give you anything. I've been very successful at calling at least a couple of times to get what I want. Also, being nice goes a long way. As far as host hotels, since meet schedules are not posted until two weeks before the meet, to ensure they have a room for their respective meets, families book the entire weekend and cancel the rooms they don't need when the schedule is out. I always have to sign a room attrition contract which makes me liable if more than 10% of the rooms I blocked is not used. Because of these, it is hard to ensure everyone has a room. As far as other websites such as Hotwire, Travelocity, etc, they negotiate block of rooms separately with the hotel at a discounted rate. So those rooms are for them at their discretion. That is why you may be able to get them cheaper than what the hotel offers and vice a versa. Lastly, the perks (free breakfast, newspapers) are usually negotiated as part of the block of rooms. Next time, you might want to contact the host gym and speak with their hotel/travel coordinator. I am almost always able to add rooms to my block.

When I checked into the Marriott this Friday, there was a big sign about the debit card thing.

Love Marriott :) Have never had a bad stay with them for business, gymnastics, or pleasure!

I do most of the negotiating to get discounted block of rooms for our out of state meets. A large part of getting what you want is getting the right person. Many representatives are given authority to offer 'freebies', discounts, etc. If you get a representative that is in a bad mood, they will most likely not give you anything. I've been very successful at calling at least a couple of times to get what I want. Also, being nice goes a long way. As far as host hotels, since meet schedules are not posted until two weeks before the meet, to ensure they have a room for their respective meets, families book the entire weekend and cancel the rooms they don't need when the schedule is out. I always have to sign a room attrition contract which makes me liable if more than 10% of the rooms I blocked is not used. Because of these, it is hard to ensure everyone has a room. As far as other websites such as Hotwire, Travelocity, etc, they negotiate block of rooms separately with the hotel at a discounted rate. So those rooms are for them at their discretion. That is why you may be able to get them cheaper than what the hotel offers and vice a versa. Lastly, the perks (free breakfast, newspapers) are usually negotiated as part of the block of rooms. Next time, you might want to contact the host gym and speak with their hotel/travel coordinator. I am almost always able to add rooms to my block.

I, too, always book any hotels I think may be needed for the season and cancel when I know my daughter's actual time.
As others have said, I do check rates that aren't part of the meet room block. Sometimes they're better, sometimes not. But always worth checking.

Our head coach recently got a block of rooms for us at $100 less than the meet block! Sometimes it pays to block your own rooms! Especially if there are many hotel choices in the area.

Finally, I agree with the poster above about being nice to the person you get on the phone and also I've been known to call back if I don't like the person.

When I checked into the Marriott this Friday, there was a big sign about the debit card thing.

Love Marriott :) Have never had a bad stay with them for business, gymnastics, or pleasure!

See a nice sign like that at check in or the person swiping the card before they swipe it would have been nice and I know I could have expected it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back