how to watch the Olympics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This made me go check my Apple TV. Totally amazing. Every prelim group, every event and routine covered.

I'm checking out NBC Sports via Sling, looking at upcoming programming... How do you know they will cover every prelim group, event, and routine? I can't find where it says that. I just see general placeholders for the mens prelims, women's prelims, etc.

I was looking at the live/upcoming section and tomorrow they have a place holder for men's sub 1 rings, men's sub 1: p bars etc and men's am qualifications which I take to be to coverage with commentary. I heard that Courtney kupets and Jonathan Horton will be the commentators for these. They have these for each subdivision, men and women.

The full replay of podium training is available in the replay section so I assume that replays of prelims will be as well

Note: I had to log in with my xfiniti login to get access to the app on my Apple TV. Don't know how much of the content is available if you aren't logged in but I did find this...

From gymcastic website

Full Streaming Schedule- NBC Olympics (first visit: 30 free minutes of video before prompted to login, every visit after: five free minutes of video before login prompt)
Each gymnastics session will include a main stream with commentary from Courtney Kupets and Jonathan Horton as well as live streams for each apparatus.

I was looking at the live/upcoming section and tomorrow they have a place holder for men's sub 1 rings, men's sub 1: p bars etc and men's am qualifications which I take to be to coverage with commentary. I heard that Courtney kupets and Jonathan Horton will be the commentators for these. They have these for each subdivision, men and women.

The full replay of podium training is available in the replay section so I assume that replays of prelims will be as well

Note: I had to log in with my xfiniti login to get access to the app on my Apple TV. Don't know how much of the content is available if you aren't logged in but I did find this...

From gymcastic website

Full Streaming Schedule- NBC Olympics (first visit: 30 free minutes of video before prompted to login, every visit after: five free minutes of video before login prompt)
Each gymnastics session will include a main stream with commentary from Courtney Kupets and Jonathan Horton as well as live streams for each apparatus.

I only see that listed for NCB Sports Live Extra, for which you need a login from a Cable Service Provider like Comcast, ATT, DISH, DirectTV, etc to watch. The regular NBC Sports through Sling/Roku (without also having a Cable provider) is only showing a generic "Mens Gymnastics Team Competition", which I highly suspect will be the generic NBC coverage. Ugh. Without paid cable I think I'm sunk. I hate cable providers.

I would love to see the actual "research" NBC is using to inform their awful, horrid, tv coverage....

Apparently if you don't like the way they cover gymnastics, BLAME WOMEN!

"While many viewers complain about NBC’s tape-delay tradition, the network maintains that the practice is better for ratings as NBC claims female viewers (who actually make up the bulk of the Olympics’ audience) watch sports differently than men do, with women investing more in coverage showing athletes’ journeys to the games than in the actual results."

“The people who watch the Olympics are not particularly sports fans. More women watch the Games than men, and for the women, they’re less interested in the result and more interested in the journey,” John Miller, NBC’s Olympics chief marketing officer, told reporters recently. “It’s sort of like the ultimate reality show and mini-series wrapped into one.

Sources: http://fortune.com/2016/08/05/olympic-games-rio-watch-schedule/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...e-seeing-the-olympic-opening-ceremonies-live/

o_Oo_O

This made me go check my Apple TV. Totally amazing. Every prelim group, every event and routine covered.

On a totally personal side note, I am also really excited to get to watch the entire equestrian story unfold. This was my sport growing up and Usually we are only lucky enough to get the top couple of runs. Very exciting!!!!

Not on my Apple TV sadly.

We are having a gymnastics/equestrian battle for Sunday viewing.

I would love to see the actual "research" NBC is using to inform their awful, horrid, tv coverage....

Apparently if you don't like the way they cover gymnastics, BLAME WOMEN!

"While many viewers complain about NBC’s tape-delay tradition, the network maintains that the practice is better for ratings as NBC claims female viewers (who actually make up the bulk of the Olympics’ audience) watch sports differently than men do, with women investing more in coverage showing athletes’ journeys to the games than in the actual results."

“The people who watch the Olympics are not particularly sports fans. More women watch the Games than men, and for the women, they’re less interested in the result and more interested in the journey,” John Miller, NBC’s Olympics chief marketing officer, told reporters recently. “It’s sort of like the ultimate reality show and mini-series wrapped into one.

Sources: http://fortune.com/2016/08/05/olympic-games-rio-watch-schedule/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...e-seeing-the-olympic-opening-ceremonies-live/

o_Oo_O

This is so NOT true! I get so sick of the dramatic background stories, just let me watch the dang events and see the people compete!

Not on my Apple TV sadly.

We are having a gymnastics/equestrian battle for Sunday viewing.

Ha! I can relate - top 3 sports in this HH are gymnastics, equestrian, and swimming!! The coming days will be a battlefield......

I have no cable in the US and Tunnelbear will pull us through it looks like based in our test run with the opening ceremonies...... I was fearful we'd be knocking on neighbors' doors but I paid the $7-8 for unlimited data and looks like we will be fine. I did CAN last night - looks like we will try GB today based on comments here.

the battle has started here - hubbie has the cricket on interspersed with the Olympic Water polo. I have told him from 6.20 in all gymnastics, luckily he can watch other stuff in other rooms.

So...just to clarify, I can use the bbc app to live stream the gymnastics events, if tunnelbear is turned on to Great Britain?

So far I'm having a very pleasant time with the NBC Sports app.....I was able to go to the rotations, subdivisions etc.....no problem.
I hope it stays this way.......then I can watch at 8pm for the 'Daggett and Friends Reality Show.'

NBC live app is free to use if you subscribe to a cable channel You have to log in after 30 mins of free watching.

Wondering if this happens to anyone else- every once in a while (last time was during Simone's second vault!) my live stream just randomly switches to another sport. How frustrating!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back