WAG Injury Prevention?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

As a gymnast myself, I have had multiple injuries over the past few years. Many of the injuries have had ligaments and tendons involved, but I’ve had some bone injuries as well. What types of preventative measures can I take to stay healthy?

The simplest ways to prevent injuries is making sure you stretch enough and correctly. There are also many different was to prevent injuries in curtain injuries that the people on here are excellent at coming up with.

Proper warming up before any stretching
Tons of strength training, while maintaining a good strength:flexibility ratio
Limiting hard landings as much as possible. Instead more trampoline, pit and soft mats
Not rushing skills and using proper progressions. If kids don’t feel ready doing something, don’t force them.
Correcting bad form
Adressing any weaknesses as soon as possible
Encouraging working with physical therapists (especially higher level kids and kids with specific weaknesses)
Creating an atmosphere where kids feel safe to tell if they are in pain or uncomfortable
Limit backbending skills (walk-overs/limbers mostly)

Nutrition.
Eating whole foods & ensure the body is well nourished. Taking a QUALITY fish oil supplement (Yes - I intentionally bold, underlined, italic, capslock). Not all are created equal & the market is unregulated, taking low quality supplements can do more harm then good - do your research. Also a glucosamine sulfate supplement - Helps regulate normal cartilage formation by encouraging production of collagen and by acting as a building block for proteoglycans, which bind the water that lubricates and cushions the joint.

Being proactive with nutrition instead of reactive.

*** This is not intended to be medical advice. Always consult your doctor/health care provider before supplementing. I am speaking from personal research (Kinesiology Major) and personal experience ***

Forgot the most important one: TEACH KIDS HOW TO FALL!
I agree with this. My ds could have seriously injured himself on a fall after a high bar dismount as he flung forward with some force. But he knew how to fall properly and was not injured at all.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back