J.O. Program

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have a few questions about the J.O. Program (for WAG) that I'm hoping someone can answer!

Firstly, can someone give just a general overview of the way the program works? I've read the USAG website but it's a little complex for a newbie like me.

Secondly, how do girls qualify up a level? I think I'm confused on sort of the, "competition" part of the program. Are there state/regional competitions at every level, or just like, 9-10? Are the J.O. National Championships for every level?

How does one qualify for elite after doing all the levels 1-10? And then, how does one qualify for something like the US Classics? Through state/regional competitions?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions!

Levels 1-6: compulsories... Set music, set routines. For example, a level 5 Bar routine will be the same, no matter what gym, no matter what state. Few gyms (at least in my area) compete levels 1 or 2. Some start competing at level 3, some at 4, some at 5. 5 is the first level you have to score out of to move up. There are different "mobility scores" as they're called, for different levels. I think it's a 31 for levels 5-7 and then maybe 34 for 8 and 9? But gyms can (and often do) require higher scores to move up, or may require that you have certain skills before you move up (Kip for level 5, giants for level 7, etc).

Level 7-10: "optionals" where you get your own routines, your own music. Now, my daughter is a level 6, so I am no expert on optionals. There are lists of skills, ranked by difficulty, and at each optional level you need a certain number of "A" skills, "B" skills, etc. In each of your routines.

There is a way, if you are 14 or older, and can show you have the skills to compete level 7, that you can petition USAG to let you be a level 7 so that you don't have to score out of 5 and 6.

Some states have "State" competitions at level 3 (not sure about levels 1 & 2), but ourstate doesn't have "States" until level 4. Qualifying scores for that are decided on a state-by-state basis. For example, last year, at level 5, my daughter had to qualify for sectionals with a 31 at any meet but then had to get a 33 at sectionals to go to states. This year there has been a change and the level 5's have to get a 34 at any meet to qualify for states. There will be no sectionals. Level 6's in our state only have to get a 32 to go to States. Level 8's have the potential to progress to regionals and level 9's and 10's have the potential to progress to regionals and then nationals.

And once you understand how it all works, the August after next, USAG is changing everything, so we'll all have to " figure it out" all over again!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back