Kind of mean coach

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Okay I'm a rec optional gymnast and I have 3 coaches. I've always liked them but I've started to think that one of them is sort of mean. One time, when we were lining up to do dance, I was talking to my teammates and she got kind of mad at me, I agree I shouldn't have been talking that time. But the next day. I was having a conversation with my teammates but they were also talking and my other coach was telling us just how to correct a dance move or something, and the kind of mean coach put her hand on my arm and said "will you pay attention!" or something like that. And then at a meet, we were warming up on beam, and a younger teammate of mine was trying to pull a mat under the beam, and she asked me to help her, but she said it very quietly so I couldn't hear her, and my coach said "will you help her? do you see what she's doing!"
It's not like she hates me or anyone else on the team, but sometimes she can be in a bad mood. She used to yell at me when I was too scared to do a back walkover on beam or jump to the high bar, but eventually my parents talked to the head coach and she doesn't really do that anymore. But she did used to say that if you fell off the beam during warm up, you had to do 10 push ups which I thought was kind of dumb. I don't really dislike her, and I do agree that I shouldn't have been talking, but do you think that these mean things that she's done are really neccesary? How should I deal with it?

Part of me says.. it is her class, and by talking through it, youre being rude and disrespecting her and what she is offering you. The momen you say "trying to teach us dance, or something" you lose my sympathy. It shows you tune out and aren't there to learn, you're there to socialize.

Now, I will not defend yelling at any gymnast, for any reason other than safety or necessity for communication (loud music, etc..). However, that is just how some people learned, so it's how they communicate.

You also need to understand, coaches aren't coaches because they get paid millions of dollars for doing it. We coach because, in general, we love the sport enough to share our experiences with those who wish to learn. I admit, I take it personally. Im certain other coaches do as well. When you ignore your coaches, it's just as bad as ignoring any other parent or teacher - we are trying to teach you something, and you don't want to listen. When it comes to gymnastics, it's incredibly important to listen to some things, as they can affect your health and well being. You land a popa wrong, or a even a wolf jump, you can seriously hurt your knees.

It sounds like you enjoy gymnastics enough to seek counsel from those who are "in the know." Let your coach know you love it by starting to listen, and genuinely trying what she requests. Classes are all of what? 2 hours or so? You will be amazed at how accomplished and satisfied you feel when you learn something new. Be there because you want to be, and that feeling of "my coach doesnt like me" will go away.

It's rarely that a coach does not like it, it's more often that a coach is disappointed FOR you (or, in you if you make considerably poor choices).

Now, to be clear, Im not saying that for 2 hours straight you should stay completely quiet and focused solely on gymnastics... that's borderline insane. What I am suggesting, though, is that when your coach is talking - you are not. Eye contact is good to show that you are listening. Just try making small adjustments during practices, and see if they get better. It may not be immediate, but over time I think you'll see a big difference.

Good luck!

Ryan

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back