Kip!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymSurvivor

Coach
Gymnast
Alright, first a little background. I just turned 18, this is my senior year in highschool. I absolutely love gymnastics but no I'm not some amazing high level gymnast.
I will be competing level 5 this year just for fun, not really concerned with scoring high and winning but just having fun.
I've always struggled on bars, and was tempted to just scratch them at meets. I am not awful on bars but due to surgery when I was young that cut down my stomach (the whole thing, vertically) and so I'm unable to do glide swings, no matter how much I condition my stomach and leg muscles I just cannot hold my legs up in a pike/straddle position.

But, I've been working my kip even though there is a tap on the floor in my glide swing (better to take the few tenths off for that then miss the whole skill I guess)

Anddd.....I finally made a kip yesterday!! No it wasn't beautiful with the tap, but the good news is that I didn't actually muscle it up, my arms were pretty darn straight.

I didn't make one after that, but hey making one kip is definite progress!!

Way to go, that's a huge achievement

And what a great example for all those older gymnasts out there.

Good luck with Level 5 :)

Congratulations! A kip is not an easy skill to learn, so be very proud of your progress. It can take some gymnasts months to a year to gain that skill. Forget trying to perform it with straight arms! Good job! Keep practicing and having fun!

Good for you! Apparently kips come and go once you get that first one, but they should get consistent soon. And I think it's awesome that you are starting to compete at age 18. All the best!

There are a lot of gymnasts who quit because they can't get their kip. You should feel very proud of yourself!!! Now that you've done it once, you know that it is within your grasp. Way to go!!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back