Level 4 beam question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

2gymmies

Coach
Proud Parent
Hi guys,

Little dd had a beam issue this weekend and the coach tried to make us both feel better by saying how good her score would have been - judges... here is what happened. She did the best beam routine I've ever seen until she got to the dismount. She kicked up to the handstand, held it but didn't go over (came down on the wrong side), so she got back up, did it again, and did the exact same thing, held it but didn't go over. She just saluted and was done. Coaches said that she got 2 falls and an incomplete element so it would be .5+.5+.3 taken off, plus execution. Is that really the case?

Thanks for your help!

I am interested to see the answer b/c I have wondered about this too- is it better to miss your dismount, salute and be done in L4 or is it better to get up try again and possibly miss it again- score wise???

I'm sure the answer to how many (a least in general) deductions were taken for two unsuccessful attempts are listed here- but you never know what the judges deducted for, really when it was all said and done.
http://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/Junior Olympics/penalties_sectionrev.pdf
As I said to my DH this weekend-- it's Level 4, if they were amazing they'd be in Level 8 ;) it's a learning process- did she have fun? She'll eventually master that dismount- you have to do it But hold for longer) in L5 too.

Yes, missing the beam dismount both times is a huge deduction. DD's coaches always said it was a 1.3 in total.

DD used to struggle with this, and near as I could tell (I'm a parent, not a coach), it had to do with position, and her shoulders were too far back and not forward enough, which made it very hard for her to get off the correct side of the beam. It was essentially just a delayed fall rather than a properly held handstand.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back