WAG Long drives to the gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi parents-

I'm considering moving my daughter to a new gym (for various reasons), however it's 45 minutes away. Her practices would start out 3 days/week for 3.5 hours each day (Level 3), and obviously just grow from there. It is one of the best gyms in our state and I do believe she will have a much better experience there, hence why i'm considering it.

For those that commute to far away gyms for your kids- how do you do it? Any tips (beyond trying to find someone to carpool with!) I have a flexible job and mainly work from home, however I also have a 3 year old who I worry I will never see on those nights. Would love to hear your personal experiences if you've been in a similar situation.

Thanks!

We always had at least an hour commute each way for the first several years and then a 2 hour commute each way for the last 6 six years so yes, it's doable. My girls were level 10s by the time we were doing the 4 hour round trip...as far as logistics, I had a really flexible part time job so I could scoop them and drive the 5 days a week. I packed dinner for them to eat after the 4.5 hour practices (ended at 8:30 pm) so they basically showered and went to bed when we got home. I had my 3rd child that my husband took to his sport so that was a divide and conquer scenario .

3 days a week will be fine but you need to think long term if this is something you want to be doing 5 days a week as she moves up in levels. I guess at level 3, I might consider staying more local . knowing that you have this better gym as an option when she gets out of levels 3 & 4 but if you're up for the drive, have at it. I spent most of my time waiting for them by reading in the local library ... it had comfy chairs, clean restrooms, and it was a nice safe space to spend several hours a day.

We always had at least an hour commute each way for the first several years and then a 2 hour commute each way for the last 6 six years so yes, it's doable. My girls were level 10s by the time we were doing the 4 hour round trip...as far as logistics, I had a really flexible part time job so I could scoop them and drive the 5 days a week. I packed dinner for them to eat after the 4.5 hour practices (ended at 8:30 pm) so they basically showered and went to bed when we got home. I had my 3rd child that my husband took to his sport so that was a divide and conquer scenario .

3 days a week will be fine but you need to think long term if this is something you want to be doing 5 days a week as she moves up in levels. I guess at level 3, I might consider staying more local . knowing that you have this better gym as an option when she gets out of levels 3 & 4 but if you're up for the drive, have at it. I spent most of my time waiting for them by reading in the local library ... it had comfy chairs, clean restrooms, and it was a nice safe space to spend several hours a day.
2 HOURS EACH WAY?? omg I could never, and I’m not even driving! My parents think that is way too far to drive even for like a waterpark or amusement park

I would not for level 3. I would wait until optional levels and make sure that it is her choice.

We had one kid in a gym about 35 minutes away for levels 6 and 7, practices were 4 hours long on 4 weeknights and Saturday mornings. She was in 3rd and 4th grade respectively and even with the limited amount of homework then, it still felt very difficult and tiring for all of us. She was trying to do homework in the car while also eating an after school snack one way and dinner the other way. We have a younger child who was also engaged in sports and music and for those two seasons our family felt like we were just ships passing in the night. Ultimately we decided that one parent would drop her off and return home/work and the other would return for pick up. It was just too much time away from home, pets, other child, and obligations to wait there through practice.

I think the situation would have been more palatable if we had both kids together there or if there had been workable carpool set-ups.

Agree that I would not do this for a level 3. If she continues to progress and love gym, perhaps consider at the optionals levels. FWIW, we changed gyms about 5 months ago to a closer location (not the reason for the change but a factor) and the difference I feel as the driver is remarkable. I'm saving at least an hour round trip 4x a week and I would not go back to a long drive. We went from 45min/hour each way to 25-30min each way and not to be dramatic but it's been a game changer for me!

We used to live 15-20 min from the gym and moved a little over a year ago, we now have a 30-35 min drive and I'm struggling even with that small change. We have several girls with over an hour commute that seem to manage, so it just depends on what makes sense for your family. I might wait at least until after level 3 if it were me.

As a coach I drive 45 min to the gym and don’t mind it. I know with kids it’s different but at least 75% of our L3-L5 kids are driving 30 mins or more to come to us.

I think the hardest thing on waiting till optionals is that most of the girls we get from surrounding gyms are behind level ( skills and conditioning) and often have to repeat the level in order to actually be On Level.

We found that it takes quite a bit of time to change bad habits and strengthen the girls in order to be on par with the girls they are training with.

I think it just depends on if you feel that you are not getting adequate training at your current gym that a 45 min drive would be worth the increase in quality of training.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back