Missing Practice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgurl

Coach
Gymnast
How sick are you before you miss practice? I find I rarely miss practice because I am sick and now having been told 'no sports' by my doctor as I have bronchitis it got me thinking how sick are you before you miss training. Tbh I am slightly annoyed that I have to miss if I am not feeling better by monday but I guess health has to take priority so when do you guys say no, i need a day off?

i would listen to your doctor and not return to gym until you are feeling better. its definitively no fun being at practice and being sick, trust me!

Yea, If i'm not better by tomorrow i'm not going but I have got a lot better since yesterday now so if there is this much improvement again tomorrow hopefully i will be ok :)

Well if you are contagious you should not go to training. I doubt your coach wants the whole squad to get sick too. If you are not contagious you need to be the judge of how you feel and if you have the energy. Remember that injury risks are more than double when you are sick or tired.

Well if you are contagious you should not go to training. I doubt your coach wants the whole squad to get sick too. If you are not contagious you need to be the judge of how you feel and if you have the energy. Remember that injury risks are more than double when you are sick or tired.

That is so true. At our gym, somebody came in with a bad flu about 4 days before level 8-9 states, next thing you know, practically the entire level 9 team had the flu and tried competing at states. The result were one girl had to scratch because she was too sick to warm up, 2 others ended up injured and are still out injured and the 4th, who is amazing on beam ended up falling 3 times on beam, made it through the competition and barely qualified for regionals. (she ended up taking 1st on beam at regionals)

The one that had the flu originally was fine at states. But it was so unfair to all the other girls. So if you are sick and coutagious, just stay home, it won't be fair to your teammates.

Find out from the doctor what symptoms indicate that you are still contagious. If you are still contagious, don't show up, no matter how good you feel.

it is our policy that if the gymnast has missed school, they don't come to gym either - gymnastics is waaaay more physically draining than school!
They shouldn't come if they are contagious either, but with something like chicken pox I guess it is hard to know as you only get spots when you are no longer contagious!

We have plenty of gymnasts who come in with head colds and as a coach I pretty much have to be incapable of getting out of bed not to attend!

That is a strange policy marie83 how would the gym know which kids had missed school and which ones didn't. We often have kids come to gymnastics who did not go to school. They may have issued school fora reason that would not have effected gymnastics like a difficult to schedule appointment. But the most common thing is the kid who wakes up feeling sick but within a few hours starts to feel better.that is very common with kids, when they feel unwell it is more often when they just wake up.

well i didn't end up going because i thought that I am better off getting 100% better and then going.

As for our policy, there isn't really a policy for team kids, but they seem quite inflexible with rec kids as you are allowed 2 makeups a term provided you have a doctors certificate. As for my squad, my coach likes you to come if at all possible and basically if you are not unable to exercise, you need to come. We don't have a rule about no school no gym (well family does but not gym) and coaches are pretty much expected to come regardless but if you can get a replacement its okay to miss

That is a strange policy marie83 how would the gym know which kids had missed school and which ones didn't. We often have kids come to gymnastics who did not go to school. They may have issued school fora reason that would not have effected gymnastics like a difficult to schedule appointment. But the most common thing is the kid who wakes up feeling sick but within a few hours starts to feel better.that is very common with kids, when they feel unwell it is more often when they just wake up.

It's just a general guideline and it is only if they have been too ill to attend school, not for other appointments etc. We haven't got a clue if the child has missed school or not, but it is up to parents to be the judge really. I know that if I ever missed school as a child I was definitely too ill for gym!
I very rarely missed either though personally!

Most gymnast are high energy active kids, who don't let much slow them down. It would take a lot to need the day off school.

I know, and that is the point of the policy! If they are so ill that they couldn't attend school, they are too ill for gym! Simple!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back