Mom of a new 5 year old Level 3

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter was just accepted onto the Level 3 team at our gym. She has been in gymnastics for 2.5 years now and turned 5 in April.

She's excited, I'm nervous! She'll move up from 3 hours/week to 4 hours/week, with some additional times available throughout the season.

I'm just here to learn and try to keep up!

Welcome! I too am a mom of a 5 year old level 3. She turned 5 this week. She has been in gymnastics for 2 and a half years. Our level threes compete and go 5 hours a week. Do your level threes compete? It would be cool to stay in touch!

Hello and welcome to CB! My dd competed L3 at 5 years old too. She went on to compete L4 as a 6 year old and now just turned 7 in April as well. It all happens very quickly, enjoy the ride!! It only gets more and more bumpy!!

I have a 5 year old also who is in level 4 this year. Our gym doesn't compete level 3. Sometimes I really wish they did because DD isn't old enough to compete level 4 this year, but other times I'm glad because she'll be more than ready by next year. When does your DD get to compete?

Welcome! We are pretty new to this world of gymnastics, too. My daughter will compete level 4 this fall (she's 7), and my son will probably be competing in January. Our gym, also, does not compete until level 4.

Anyway, good to have you here!:)

Welcome to the CB!! My dd is 8 and has been doing gymnastics since she was 3. Our old gym did not have a level 3 team, just the developmental class which never competed. She competed as a level 4 at age 6 and just finished her level 6 season. We just switched gyms not too long ago so I don't know if she'll move up to level 7 next season or not. You'll get lots of good advice here. Hope your dd loves level 3!

Thanks for the welcome!

Shelovesthebars - yes, our L3 team competes - we won't get the schedule until August, but if it's similar to the last few years, the first will be in November, with a few in January and February (including our gym's competition), and another in March before State near the end of March. So, not a huge competition schedule - just enough to keep her motivated!

Starmaker - I can only imagine. I have two boys in hockey (an older DS, and then DD's twin brother) and between the three schedules I'm already hopping! What will your DD compete this fall? L4 again? Or has she moved up?

Ellabella - I'm torn on her competing at this age, but it's entirely driven by her right now, so I'm just along for the ride. She's been working L3 routines for about a year now (which are very similar to L4 - ie, floor does a RO, instead of RO/BH) so she's chomping at the bit to "do it for real".

AZgymmiemom - isn't it nice to have two in the same sport/location?!?! My boys both skate at the same rink, so while our schedule is crazy, at least I know two of them are in the same place. Of course, it's on the other side of the county, but still! Does your DS's season not start until January? Or do they let them come in mid-season in AZ?

nettyinpa - so, your DD has moved up a level each year? Congrats! Our gym tells you to expect 2 years per level. Some advance every year, some stay 3 years at a level. I love that it's not a cookie cutter/pressure system to go as fast as you can - totally individualized by the athlete. I wish other sports were like that! Age doesn't always equal skill or maturity level!

As for DD, she's counting down the days until team practice starts. Thankfully, we have a Disney trip in between to help fill the time!

Thanks for the welcome!

AZgymmiemom - isn't it nice to have two in the same sport/location?!?! My boys both skate at the same rink, so while our schedule is crazy, at least I know two of them are in the same place. Of course, it's on the other side of the county, but still! Does your DS's season not start until January? Or do they let them come in mid-season in AZ?

Boys only compete the winter/spring season here. And, yes, while its nice they are at the same place, not so great that they are on exactly opposite days...dd mwfs and ds tth. AND ds plays little league and basketball too. So I get your crazy schedule! lol. My ds didn't meet a sport he didn't like but if he picks any more I'm going to scream:eek:

My dd got to do in house meets at level 3-but she is soooo ready to compete "for real" lol.

IrenicMom,

Olivia is testing for tops in three weeks. She is expected to come real close to making diamond but more than likely make gold. She loves her tops class and training. I haven't been told anything as far as competitions but from watching her training groups it looks like she is competing level 4 again in the fall. I think, they think she needs more time to perfect level 5 routines. I think one coach in particular is under the mentally of "what's the rush" and trying to take a step back and slow things down a bit. They are still uptraining her. Just yesterday she was working on ROBHS BT on floor. But she wants her competing one level down from her current skills. Dd also loves to play it safe on beam and just needs more confidence with jumps and leaps. I just figure this way ensures success at both level 4 and level 5 and on. What's the difference between Level 7 at 7 years old or 8 years old or even 9 years old for that matter? Besides, her focus and true love is TOPS. She's even told me she is not in a rush to get through the levels. She wants to do a level a year. (she's under the impression that she "might" compete L5). I think she'll be disappointed but will get over it once she realizes she is doing level 4 again. It will only take one success meet before she'll forget all about competing level 5.

It will only take one success meet before she'll forget all about competing level 5.

I wish there were more parents like you at our gym! It is very intense and the desire to stay tracked on 1 level/1 year is very prevalent. If only they could realize this simple fact!

The overall compulsory head coach struggles every year to deal with the parents that are mad that their daughter is "being held back" :rolleyes:

I just want my daughter to continue to develop strength, flexibility and skills. And have FUN. What's the fun in struggling all year competing in a level that you're not comfortable with the skill set? And like you said - what's the big difference between competing a level at 7 or 8, or even 9? None.

My mantra with all three of mine is "grow in the sport". When it's a struggle and ceases to be fun? There's an issue.

Thanks for the hope that there are other level headed parents out there!!

Thank you! Actually most parents at our gym just think I'm crazy because I don't mind whether Liv competes L4 or L5. They tell me to speak up and that they are holding her back to have a winning level 4 team etc.

I just listen, nod and keep going. I've come to realize everyone is in their own journey learning how to be a gym parent. It's especially tough for parents with especially talented little ones.

I totally agree with you. Strength, flexiblity and Fun are most important. Liv is getting just that. She has never been more happy with gym than she is now. I don't think she would of lasted this long at her old gym. It makes such a difference to be at the right gym for your child.

Wish you and your dd the very best. You sound like a great mommy and can't wait to hear more about your dd's progress.

BTW, I love your profile pic!

Welcome to CB!

My midget competed not only Level 3 but before that L2. And she had a blast doing it. So I bet you, and she, have a great time.

We are doing level 4 this year and looking forward to it greatly.

Good luck!! Cant wait to hear more as you post about her.

My daughters are a level 3 and a level 4. El my younger daughter started as a level one and then moved to 2 and is now going to 3 this year. She is 6 years old. :) They do about 6 competitions a year. :)

Welcome! I have a 4 year old who is training to compete level 3 in the fall. She'll be 5 in October. This is a great community, you'll find lots of good info and nice people here. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back