WAG New member here and question about developmental class

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

jessmomto2

Proud Parent
Hi I just joined the forum but have been doing tons of reading because gymnastics is a completely foreign world to me. MY DD is four and a half and absolutely loves her classes. She has been going to a recreational class since two and about six months ago she was moved to a developmental class. The class meets twice a week for an hour and my daughter is the youngest girl but only by six months to a year all the other girls are five. A few weeks ago the coaches had a meeting with the parents of the class to explain that they were going to change the class up. I am so new to this so not sure if this is the norm but what they want to do is have these four girls focus mostly on strength, flexibility and getting a few basics down really well, until they are around six or so and then move them up to higher levels depending on where they think each girl should be they said in levels 4-5 probably. I am wondering what are the pros and cons of this? I really don't want dd competing right now as number one she is 4 and number 2 the cost I would like to delay extra costs for a bit, but the coaches said all the girls in the class have the skills to compete level two but would like them to skip level 2 and 3.

A devo class is to help young kids filter into preteam/team instead of going through the recreational route. I'm pretty sure that in order to compete Level 4, the girls must be 7 yrs old. So, at 6 she could compete L3. That's not moving too fast, imo. If she's only 4 now, you have a couple years before you would have the expense of competing if the gym doesn't want her to compete until level 4. And a LOT can happen in a couple years-she may not even be in gymnastics then but decides she prefers swimming or dance.

I am by any stretch of imagination am an expert. That said, I do know that level 4 is the first mandatory level for girls and you must be 7 to compete at that level. My little bit is 5 is working on Level 3. She will be six next spring in time for the last few meets. I wish we didn't compete until 4 but alas..

I just reread the form they gave us and I guess they would keep them in this class until ages 6-8 and then decide so I am guessing that is how they could go to level 4 I am clueless to all of the rules etc. We live in a very small town and dance, and gymnastics are basically the only sports activities available to kids at a young age. I am sure like many kids her interests may change down the road but I am guessing she will keep with gymnastics until she at least has other sports options when she is bit older as she was not a huge fan of dance class.

I think it is a wise move on the part of your coaches. They can focus on basics, shapes and some skills and not have to make the kids worry so much about memorizing routines (which can take even longer when they are very young). And it is nice to not have to worry about the additional expenses in levels that are not required. I have had one daughter begin at old L5 (new L4) and one start at new L3, and I honestly think waiting to L4 would have been just fine for the one who competed L3.

I am by any stretch of imagination am an expert. That said, I do know that level 4 is the first mandatory level for girls and you must be 7 to compete at that level. My little bit is 5 is working on Level 3. She will be six next spring in time for the last few meets. I wish we didn't compete until 4 but alas..
LOL! Cannot edit to correct it to say "I by no stretch of the imagination am an expert" geez ;-/

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back