Parents No score out for level 5?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My 2 cents is that I'd be very skeptical of a 3rd year at any of the lower levels unless there's special circumstances such as illness, injury or maybe even an exceptionally young gymnast that might explain a 3rd year. 3 years at L4 indicates to me a potential issue with the training (not being progressed properly) or athlete (Xcel might be a better fit) or both. The skill your DD is missing though is pretty big though but I'm surprised there's no wiggle room being offered (such as a reevaluation later or scratching the one event).
Thank you for your 2 cents. Kind of my thought process behind it but I am just a mom not a coach. And I do feel that some kids would get a slide, and others don't. But what your saying is very well what i was trying to understand. Thank you again.

My 2 cents is that I'd be very skeptical of a 3rd year at any of the lower levels unless there's special circumstances such as illness, injury or maybe even an exceptionally young gymnast that might explain a 3rd year. 3 years at L4 indicates to me a potential issue with the training (not being progressed properly) or athlete (Xcel might be a better fit) or both. The skill your DD is missing though is pretty big though but I'm surprised there's no wiggle room being offered (such as a reevaluation later or scratching the one event).
I agree. I would be concerned about the training, especially if she has been working on this skill for this past year. I am assuming her ro-bh-bh is strong but she just isn't connecting the bt to the bhs? "gateway" skills are usually discussed mostly with bars the ro-bh-bt really is a gateway skill to the optional levels on floor so I get that they don't want her to progress until she has it but repeating a compulsory level for a 3rd time is not a good option, in my opinion. Moving her to xcel for a year or having her scratch the event while she moves to L5 for the other 3 seems like a better plan.

Wondering if Xcel Gold might be a better option for her this year. She can continue working on that connection while learning other skills too, so could be a good confidence boost.
we might but our xcel kids all use the same music like level 2 to 5 just skills are different like if u dont do robh u just do backward roll stuff like that. but that prob what we do or just quit all together. thank u

Creating and teaching them all individual routines would be tricky even though we do have in house choreography! It’s hard enough for our handful of optionals.

So our gym gives all our new level 6 optionals the exact same choreography on beam and floor. Do the parents hate it, yes, but it’s way cheaper, and saves everyone time. I’ve seen some xcel gyms do this too. It’s a big deal for our girls as level 7s getting their own routines. My daughter will be a 9 this year and this will be her first year getting a beam routine that’s just hers, vs shared choreo.

All that to say gyms could find a way around having to teach 30 level 3s different routines.

total
So our gym gives all our new level 6 optionals the exact same choreography on beam and floor. Do the parents hate it, yes, but it’s way cheaper, and saves everyone time. I’ve seen some xcel gyms do this too. It’s a big deal for our girls as level 7s getting their own routines. My daughter will be a 9 this year and this will be her first year getting a beam routine that’s just hers, vs shared choreo.

All that to say gyms could find a way around having to teach 30 level 3s different routines.
totally get it! competitions just seem weird from xcel point when go to meet other gyms have different songs, for them. But i totally agree on keeping same routine just changing skills. Hopefully our song choice is better then last year the level 2,3,4 music was better then the xcel silver and gold.

The compulsory program currently has no strength or flexibility testing component. This is probably the strangest part to me. Really the only thing that USA Gymnastics has setup for strength is TOPs... which is like the gold standard of gymnastics strength. It would be nice if there was a starting point for presses instead of just 10 in a row... I mean come on... a press is very helpful... but 10 in row? Strength and flex testing is a good thing... but you don't need the TOPs strength to be passing from L2 to L3... you also don't need a full "periodized" compulsory strength training system that some of these gymnastics progression websites will sell you... 5 strict push ups would be nice though...
One comp that my daughters' club attends does a strength/flexibility component and I think it's wonderful. It's an area my level 4 girl excels in so she ends up with medals (it's a banding system rather than places with ribbons and medals rather to represent their score) and it is the best boost to her little 7 year old confidence who has the skills but not finesse to do that well in routines. I am not sure if they only do this for level 3-4 or higher levels also. I wish it was part of more comps. Good time filler too rather than sitting around on a 'rest' rotation.

Yes i understand that totally but has 3 out of 4 events has routine knows how to do the skill individually but won't connect. Rbhbt- roundoff back handspring back tuck. Again can do each on its own can do round off, standing back handspring, standing back tuck, and round off 2 ( but its a mental struggle for her that she has and usually gets it when needed but won't do it consistent ) We are working with her she gets privates weekly and she really tries. But she was a Bar state champion in her division last year and 5 place AA i feel going back to the level going to make it to easy for her.
Could she do a front tuck, round-off, back tuck instead? I guess it would only work for L6 but it's helped with some of our gymnasts who had a mental block on that skill.

I honestly wish the compulsory system was more of a pass / fail system instead of a competitive system. If the point of it is truly to create a solid foundation... then placement is really not necessary.
Unfortunately pass/fail doesn’t generate dollars. And then parents don’t get to enjoy medals.

I honestly wish the compulsory system was more of a pass / fail system instead of a competitive system. If the point of it is truly to create a solid foundation... then placement is really not necessary.
I really like the use of ribbons that some meets/regions do where the gymnast gets a ribbon based on their score, right after they compete each event. There are no placements but they get recognized for their effort and know generally how well they did based on the color of the ribbon. I think this would work so much better in the lower levels where the focus should be on foundation, not perfection.

I really like the use of ribbons that some meets/regions do where the gymnast gets a ribbon based on their score, right after they compete each event. There are no placements but they get recognized for their effort and know generally how well they did based on the color of the ribbon. I think this would work so much better in the lower levels where the focus should be on foundation, not perfection.
They did this for Level 5, the 1st compulsory level, way back when I was competing. It seemed to work well putting the focus more on individual improvement vs. winning.

I think this might vary from state to state. I think in levels 2&3, maybe even 4, in Washington, they only do AA medals and then the ribbon system for individual events.

I think this might vary from state to state. I think in levels 2&3, maybe even 4, in Washington, they only do AA medals and then the ribbon system for individual events.
My kid has a ridiculous amount of medals for L2 and 3. Thankfully we knew as parents it was fun not serious

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back