Number of floor routines per week

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

flipmom1

Coach
Proud Parent
My daughter is a level 7 gymnast in a really tough region. Her and her teammates are currently scoring in the high 8's low 9's. However a 9.0 will not place in our competitions. 9.4 and up are the typically placing scores. We only practice our floor routines twice per week. Each girl performs her routine only once. That's 2 routines per week. I was curious if other high scoring teams practice full routines more often.

We do full routines, sprint routines, and dance throughs throughout the week, so some form of the routine at every practice during peak competition season. Number of times varies but an example of a day would be 2 sprint routines with 3x each tumbling pass on the tumble trak. Or 1 "hit" dance through with 2x "sticks" onto the resi. The 9s and 10s do less hard landings even if they do full routines. Sometimes, it is more about quality than quantity and maybe they are doing the parts and pieces without the entire routine.

in comp season we normally do about 2 a training session otherwise we don't do them other than to learn them

not 100% sure what dd does but from what i have gleaned then it differs in off and on season.
they do some routines with just choreography, some with just elements, and i know they do this (to me) weird thing where they will do maybe just 1st half of the routine full out, or just last half full out. (sorry that wasnt much help!).... shuffles away in to the corner....
i do know that coming up to a competition they will do some sort of routines in each session, and when it is not the season they do maybe just part of 1 session a week on the routine and this will just be the half routines

I have 9 gymnasts in my group, we get 30 minutes on floor and train 4 times a week.
I usually organise the sessions so that 6 weeks before the comp I focus on 3 gymnasts per session on floor, 3 on beam and 3 on bars the next session they will rotate round and I make sure I see each of them an equal number of times.

6 weeks before comp = part routines
3 weeks before comp = Routines every session - usually 2 or 3 each - at least 1 full routine the others might be dance throughs or 'nit picking'
1 week before = routines routines routines (usually I can only manage 2 each session because I like to judge them too) - sometimes if the routine is terrible I will stop the music and have them restart but usually it is competition style - if its a mess, they deal with the consequences of a low score!

During the season if there has been a big problem in a competition I will work through it one on one with the gymnasts.

*Marie now heads off to plan sessions as she has just realised it is 4 weeks to a competition and we haven't started full routines yet...whoopsie!* (only got 3 gymnasts competing though so it's not such a big problem!)

We normally do routines 2x or 3x per week during the competition season. In the two weeks leading up to a meet, we're supposed to do it 3x per week but sometimes traveling for meets gets in the way of practice so we can't, or we have practice the night before a meet so we don't do hard landings. We normally do 2 routines per practice session - usually one full routine and one light routine (where we only do the last tumbling pass or the last two tumbling passes). In the weeks leading up to the meet we'll do 2 full routines.

So in the end we do 4 to 6 routines per week. Often only half have all of the tumbling passes. 2 routines per week seems a little bit low but not that much, especially if they do endurance conditioning and tumbling outside of their routines. You could ask if your daughter could come in outside of normal practice to work on her floor skills, but remember that floor routines are very hard on the body and that's why we don't do many of them.

My dd is L7. I'm not sure how many days/times they do routines, but I do know at least 1x per week they do "picky picky" with their coach. They start the routine and the coach stops them if there are any errors and they have to start over. My dd is always happy on any days that she comes out of practice and says "I made it all the way through my routine the first time!" They have their floor coach who choreographed their routines for 2 practices a week, so those days they really work on fine tuning all the dance and moves. The other days they have an excellent coach who focuses more on the tumbling skills with them and/or they work routines. THey also do the sprints in place of the tumbling passes.

We usually do 2-3 floor routines a practice... which is like 4-6 routines a week. We also do 3x each tumbling pass before we start doing the routines.

For optionals, I'd say about 2 routines per practice hit. I seriously doubt you are going to able to rotate through more than 3 attempted routines and 3 is going to be a lot of wear and tear in optionals.

For compulsory, we have 3 practices a week, and we only do floor routines one day, but we do 10 of them. Two of the days, the gym is super crowded (cheer teams) so we only have one day for the floor so we do 10.
For optional girls, we would do 2 routines every other practice.

We do our routines on routine day, each of us do our routines twice each. Though, on floor day, we do sprint routines, dance through.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back