Presidential Classic report (Level 4)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Bajanswife

Proud Parent
This was DD's biggest meet ever - prior to this the biggest had been Crown of the Carolinas when she was in level 3. It was well-run and we enjoyed both the meet and being in Orlando. It was a little on the expensive side, especially when my other DD lost her spectator ticket and I had to buy her another one. :rolleyes:

DD had one high point and one low point. High point: finally broke 9.0 on vault! She'd been having trouble piking too much into the handstand, but she's improved that a lot. Unfortunately for her, vault seems to be an event that many gymnasts get over 9, so she still only managed to place 6th out of a group size of 15. Low point: she missed her beam dismount twice and had to finish incomplete! She has never missed that dismount in competition, so I don't know what happened. She told me she was a bit confused. It was our first rotation, which is never good - I find that as a team we are always so nervous on beam anyway, but to have it as the first event is really tough. She only scored 6.15, because she always has several small form break deductions as well, plus of course the 2 falls and the missing dismount. But amazingly hers wasn't the lowest score - someone got a 6.10, which surprised me. I didn't see that routine - it was in a different session.

Bars and floor she scored 8.775 (5th) and 8.825 (8th) respectively. Her skills are there but she still has too many form breaks. She has real difficulty with knowing when her legs are bent - she keeps telling me they feel straight. She also has a hard time with hollow handstands.

Overall we had fun and DD is solidly in the middle of the pack. She got 3 event medals, which were given out to 8th place for a group of 15. We are always curious about how we compare to other gyms because we only compete 2 or 3 times in a calendar year and are very inexperienced. That's why we study the scores so much - it's one of the ways we can see how we stack up generally. It's nice to know we are doing some things right, though I think we don't emphasize form correction and perfection as much as some of the other gyms do.

Congratulations on three medals! Very exciting! Ugh, beam - we were the victim of that incomplete beam dismount a couple weeks ago - it takes you right out of the all around. Sometimes I think no one should have to beam first!

Again, great job!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back