Parents Question about Achilles pain

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

tarheel618

Proud Parent
My daughter has been complaining about achilles pain the last few days. I scheduled an appt for her to see an orthapaedic/sports medicine doctor on Monday.

What kinds of questions should I ask the doctor?

Background
My daugther (age 12) says it hurts when she vaults and does squat on on the bars. It just started last Friday when she was vaulting. She mentioned it hurting on Saturday and never said anymore about it. She played on it all weekend and walks normally. She practiced on it 3 days this week and today she mentioned it was hurting again so we are icing it and I called to make an appt. I just want to be prepared and ask the right questions while seeing the doctor.

Thanks for the input

I'm sure the doctor will sort it out for you but my immediate thought was achilles or heel pain - it could be Sever's if it is the heel... My dd went through it around 11 or 12 and it is growth related. Good luck!

My younger DD had this and it was Achilles tendonitis. She did I think 6 weeks of pt for it. One of the contributing problems for her is that she has really high arches, so we also got Rx arch supports for her sneakers and had her quit wearing flip flops.

Check out the X Brace by Dr Josh or tape that way. Here's a few pages from the chapter in his book on heel pain. My Daughter had Achilles pain when she came back from an injury because she lost the stretch that she had from daily tumbling. She tapes her achilles for support.

Attachments

• heel pain.pdf
    237.1 KB · Views: 21
Thanks everyone. I will update on Monday after the appointment. Im making her curb her activity the last few days and weve been icing it.

Update- DD has a bruised/strain Achilles. Shes in an Air Cast for the next two weeks and we go back for a check up. No gym other than upper body conditioning.

2nd update- She is still in the air cast for another week. Bummer for her because her home gym camp is this week. She is still going but won't be able to do much. I am chaperoning so there is no backing out on her part. Our gym is closed after camp for a week so hopefully these extra two weeks off will give it time to heal. Our first competition is in September. We've talked about it may be necessary to repeat level 4 this year if she doesn't have all her skills by the first meet. Oh the ups and downs of gymnastics.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back