WAG Question about developmental camp (after hours)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ali'sMom

Proud Parent
One of our gymmies was invited to developmental camp in August. She's young, and nervous, going with coaches, not mom.

We had a group go to summer camp last month, so I was able to show her pictures of the cabins, and that's helped (she doesn't like the "unknown".)

What I'm wondering, so I could tell her - do they do any fun stuff in the evenings like summer camp at all? I mean, I'm sure they don't have pie fights with the coaches and counselors, etc, but I'm wondering if they do any fun group stuff?

Thanks for anyone who can share some info!

Ummm, no, not really. When my DD went, they had evening practices and then they showered and got ready for bed. I think some of the girls might have watched some TV or hung out in their rooms for a short period but there was a fairly strict bed time as they had to get up for morning practice.

Ummm, no, not really. When my DD went, they had evening practices and then they showered and got ready for bed. I think some of the girls might have watched some TV or hung out in their rooms for a short period but there was a fairly strict bed time as they had to get up for morning practice.

Thanks so much!!!
I didn't want any of our summer camp girls telling her all about the fun stuff and then she gets there and they don't do it. (I expected that they have quiet evenings, but wanted to confirm).

Thank you!

I will agree with B&M's mom. The evening practice ends about 7 or 715pm then dinner. Sometimes the girls may take a walk or play a little bit on the playground. She could bring cards and if she knows any card tricks that could be a fun thing to do or show the new friends she will make!
Puzzle books, an ipod, and a phone are all common items these gymnasts tend to bring to use during their down time. :)

I will agree with B&M's mom. The evening practice ends about 7 or 715pm then dinner. Sometimes the girls may take a walk or play a little bit on the playground. She could bring cards and if she knows any card tricks that could be a fun thing to do or show the new friends she will make!
Puzzle books, an ipod, and a phone are all common items these gymnasts tend to bring to use during their down time. :)
That helps too!!!

Thank you!

Agree with all of the above comments. I know my daughter, and a lot of the other campers, download movies on their IPad and they get together and watch movies together.

Thank you! I'm glad I asked because apparently one of the younger girls who went to summer camp last month started telling her about all the fun stuff at night and she started to get excited, so mom had to explain that it was a different type of camp even though at the same place.

You should also tell her to pack snacks, like protein bars, jerky, nutella to go.... According to my daughter, there was never enough food and she was often hungry. When she would go, her coach would stop at the Kroger's on the way to pick up fruit and Gatorade that they kept in their room.

I know this sounds like a bummer but my daughter enjoyed going. Tell her that she will learn a lot from the experience.

You should also tell her to pack snacks, like protein bars, jerky, nutella to go.... According to my daughter, there was never enough food and she was often hungry. When she would go, her coach would stop at the Kroger's on the way to pick up fruit and Gatorade that they kept in their room.

I know this sounds like a bummer but my daughter enjoyed going. Tell her that she will learn a lot from the experience.

I hate that this is still happening! Jeez!

It wasn't that they weren't feeding the girls. According to my daughter, if you got there late, the food may be limited. Her coach liked to talk to them after each session so by the time they got there, they had a limited amount. I've been to other camps, non gymnastics, where the same thing happened. So they knew to pack snacks.

I can't tell you how glad I was to read this post about just getting there late, it horrified me to think the girls weren't getting enough to eat!!

LOL. I don't think my son has ever gotten enough to eat at a camp....but he is a bottomless pit!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back