Question about moving up in levels

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mimi

Proud Parent
Is a bent arm kip reason enough to keep a gymnast at level 5? She has all other level 6 skills, however, her gym "scores out" of 6 and then moves them up to prep-op.

Does she have a real clear hip? Couldn't she do prep-op and then "score out" of 6 at the end of the season instead of at the beginning?

not a coach here, but from dd's experience, it is pretty difficult to make clean cast angle requirements for L6 and platinum prep-op with bent arm kips. From level 6 on, it seems that skills get much harder at a quicker pace and if the foundation isn't laid well, it will be hard to correct these errors later on with the gymnast is focusing on those harder skills. Sounds like your dd's gym wants the girls to go into 6/prep with strong foundation skills so their level 7 training will come more easily.

It's going to be very hard to be successful at bars at L6 or higher without a good kip. For most level 6 gymnasts, the kip is the easiest part of the routine, and you don't want her to be stuck on perfecting the easier skills and getting poor scores. Additionally, if she can't do a proper kip, I would be worried about the strength necessary for higher-level bars skills.

Of course it is, in many gyms it is enough to keep you out of level 5 too. A kip is an integral skill on bars. If the kip is not strong all bars higher than level 4 is going to be a struggle. It is also an indication that the gymnasts does not have enough strength for the higher level.

Of course it is, in many gyms it is enough to keep you out of level 5 too. A kip is an integral skill on bars. If the kip is not strong all bars higher than level 4 is going to be a struggle. It is also an indication that the gymnasts does not have enough strength for the higher level.

I understand that a kip is an integral skill on bars. I may not know much about gymnastics, but that I do know. I just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't be a detriment to her to repeat level 5 when her other events are so good. I have been repeatedly told by numerous coaches that she is one of the strongest in the gym (she can do repeated press to handstands and has been doing so for at least a year). As far as I have been told it is not a strength issue, but it is obviously something, so I guess we will hang tight and wait for the kip to improve. :)

How bent arm are we talking? Can she do a kip cast? If she can't do a kip cast, level 6 bars are going to be a big issue. Not sure what level of Prep Op they put them in or the preferred bar routine - I assume we wouldn't be talking clear hip HS or giants because then I assume they'd go to level 7, but that it would probably be something similar to level 6 bars involving kip casts and clear hips. On the other hand, if she had all the other skills, I'd generally fall in favor of letting her keep training and re-evaluate in six months (I assume there's awhile until your next season starts). If this was her first year of 5, then six months could mean a big difference.

It is a slight arm bend, and I'm not sure if she can do a kip cast. She is able to do some with straight arms. I know the bars aren't where they need to be yet, but she wouldn't compete again until January, which is really the only reason I am questioning it at all. This was her first year of 5, and the kip has come a long way since she first got it in October. She is pretty excited about being able to pick her music, routines, etc. for prep-op, so this kip setback has been a bit of a disappointment. I totally understand where the coaches are coming from, wanting her to have the basics before moving up. Just trying to be an advocate for my child without being too much of a helicopter mom.:)

If she has to compete L6, I would require a consistent straight arm kip; especially if she is looking to L7 after that. As for Prep-Op, umm show up, wear a leotard, do your hair. As a 1st year L5, the straight arm kip should come in no time.

I would ask if there is any chance she will be re-evaluated. January is a long way away. I would not be happy personally either. If the answer is no, I would decide how much you think this would affect her, and be realistic about how well she did in level 5 and how far along her skills are. If there is an option to, you could consider an evaluation at another gym, one that does a full year of level 6 program. The answer might be different, particularly because it requires less planning to design routines.

If she will be re-evaluated, then you could consider asking if they think some private lessons would help. I rarely recommend it and don't think it should be needed, but under some gym formats it might be the best way to get that little bump if it's mainly a one skill issue...I know a lot of people who haven't regretted it, so to be realistic although it isn't my belief philosophically, it might be a consideration.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back