Question on floor music (not the music but what to do when asked)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

cher062

Ok folks many of you have seen my DD's floor routine and heard her floor music from Harry Potter. We purchased it from floormusic express and paid good money for it. Everyone who hears it at the meets loves it and the routine.

Now that Harry Potter is out again in theaters I am gettine requests through my YouTube page and e-mail for me to send them a copy of that music. I'm all for sharing things and don't want to sound selfish or hard but I paid good money to get that music and the right to use it from floor music express and I don't think they would appreciate it if I just handed out copies of that music for free. I don't think its morally or legaly right to do.

So when I reply that way to those who have asked they do send back some not so nice comments to me.

I think I'm right here but would you send out music that you paid for and I think is copyrighted by the company you purchased it from? Have any of you been asked to pass along music for free that you paid for? Did you pass it along?

Ok folks many of you have seen my DD's floor routine and heard her floor music from Harry Potter. We purchased it from floormusic express and paid good money for it. Everyone who hears it at the meets loves it and the routine.

Now that Harry Potter is out again in theaters I am gettine requests through my YouTube page and e-mail for me to send them a copy of that music. I'm all for sharing things and don't want to sound selfish or hard but I paid good money to get that music and the right to use it from floor music express and I don't think they would appreciate it if I just handed out copies of that music for free. I don't think its morally or legaly right to do.

So when I reply that way to those who have asked they do send back some not so nice comments to me.

I think I'm right here but would you send out music that you paid for and I think is copyrighted by the company you purchased it from? Have any of you been asked to pass along music for free that you paid for? Did you pass it along?

Honestly, I think you were right not to share, I haven't been asked for floor music but just songs by my friends and thats totally fine in my opinion anyway. When complete strangers are asking for you to email i wouldn't. i would just say legally my hands are tied I am really sorry but if you want the music here's the website.

Last edited:
you paid for it, not them, you have the right for your daughter to be unique in having that music, you don't want a thousand kids with her music :)

I think you are doing the right thing. I would not pass copies along to others.

We don't even get a copy of our dd's floor music, their gym buys it for the girls and keeps it. We pay one choreography fee that includes the music.

Wow, I can't believe that people that you don't even know are asking you to send the music. I know I wouldn't do it. I would tell them them name and where I bought it from and send them on their way. :)

I wouldn't send it along either. You paid for it and so should they. You could always point them in the right direction but I know my daughter wants to be unique....

thanks everyone I have given them the link to floor music express. I have actually had some write back and say it was too expensive to buy so could I do them the favor and give it to them.

I was starting to think "am I wrong here??" but now I know I'm not the only one that thinks like me LOL

my dd heard some music on Youtube and messaged the person to ask for a copy... which she did send over to us. It was someone from another country though.
I wouldnt have asked, but she did, and was lucky enough to get it and used it for 2 years, and now another gymnast is using it from the club. It was a mix of a Bond piece (i think!)

No, I wouldn't send them it for free. We do that in our gym, but that is our "family." They can purchase it just like you from FXM, too bad if they don't think that's right. Are they strangers randomly asking for it? If so, don't worry about what they have to say. We here understand the cost of gymnastics, and no, unless it is your friend or something, I wouldn't send them anything. You could probably site the fact that it is copyrighted and you legally can't sell it to them or give it to them as it is a copyright infringement and you signed/agreed to a contract with FXM. Or something to that effect. :)

They are strangers I don't know just YouTube gymnastic folks who like the music and want it too. GAGymmom I have sent them messages similar to that and some of the responses were "interesting" to say the least.

I actually think that by passing it along you are violating some copyright rights...you paid for it and have "exclusive" rights to use it...that's what copyrighting is for...they can get some versions of music on youtube free and let them get those...as for your music...I'd just say sorry but you don't want to cross any copyright laws in any way, shape or form...Good for you.

Don't worry about the "interesting" responses...those people know what they are asking is wrong-let them deal with it. You did what you thought was right and remember, your dd is watching what you do! You made the right choice so, who cares what they say?! Besides, you had to pay for it, why do they think they deserve it for free?!

That is insane. To ask is presumptuous. To act like you're the one "in the wrong" when you don't agree to give it out is just awful! I'd love to see the routine though! Do you have a link here on CB?

Wow, people are ballsy! It would never even cross my mind to ask someone for a copy of their music. I think you are perfectly right in just saying the service that you purchased it from.

That is insane. To ask is presumptuous. To act like you're the one "in the wrong" when you don't agree to give it out is just awful! I'd love to see the routine though! Do you have a link here on CB?

Just click on my youtube link in my siggy.

Just watched your dd's routine out of curiosity - such a cool routine and wonderful music! It's a great medley. Good choice.

To reinforce what everyone else has been saying, nevermind the rude responses. Excuse you for not violating copyright law. Sheesh. You're doing the right thing both for you and your dd as well as the company who puts out the music.

Just ignore the rude responses cher. They are being rude to start with by even asking you for it & putting you in an awkward position! You paid to use the music legally & so should they. I just purchased floor music on-line & I agreed to the "terms of use" before the purchase was confirmed. You probably did something similar with Floor Express. When people "share" floor music they are stealing from the music companies plain & simple. Yeah it may be "easy" to share music, but it's just not the right thing to do. Glad you are standing your ground with these rude people!

P.S.-I love your DD's music & routine:D!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back