MAG Region Realignment

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
As expected, MAG DP will most likely go from 9 regions to 6 after the 23-24 season.
Here is the info:

The proposed Regions will be:
1. The current Region 1 plus UT
2. The combined Regions 2, 4, plus CO and WY
3. The current Region 3 plus NM
4. The current Region 8 plus VA
5. The current Region 5 plus WI and WV
6. The combined Regions 6 and 7

And here is the proposed map:
1688422897538.png

Gotta say... would much rather Wisconsin stayed in the Region 2 / 4 combo... looks like way better travel opportunites.

Gotta say... would much rather Wisconsin stayed in the Region 2 / 4 combo... looks like way better travel opportunites.

Travel opportunities is one way to look at it lol.

Being in region 2, this means a lot more travel and stiffer competition for regionals and nationals. It’s fairer fror athletes in bigger regions but I don’t see what we get out of it.

Being in region 2, this means a lot more travel and stiffer competition for regionals and nationals. It’s fairer fror athletes in bigger regions but I don’t see what we get out of it.

I do worry about the amount of travel in that region affecting the ability of boys/gyms to continue.

If you read the document, they outline some of that.

Wish they would realign WAG similar to this
Besides Wyoming sticking out in Region 2, and HI not being in Region 1, the regions looks pretty good. What needs to be realigned? I’m pretty sure it’s based on population and enrollment in the sport.

Attachments

• IMG_1604.jpeg
    IMG_1604.jpeg
    382.7 KB · Views: 109
I do worry about the amount of travel in that region affecting the ability of boys/gyms to continue
If you read the document, they outline some of that.
I did read the document but I really didn’t understand the logic. They referred to “additional resources” but I’m not sure what resources they think we are currently lacking? And are those “additional resources” going make up for the huge increase in travel costs for regionals participants?

Besides Wyoming sticking out in Region 2, and HI not being in Region 1, the regions looks pretty good. What needs to be realigned? I’m pretty sure it’s based on population and enrollment in the sport.
That's the problem - it's not based on enrollment/population. There have been lots of discussion about it on CB.

I did read the document but I really didn’t understand the logic. They referred to “additional resources” but I’m not sure what resources they think we are currently lacking? And are those “additional resources” going make up for the huge increase in travel costs for regionals participants?

Yeah not sure. I know they are looking at sectionals for the bigger geographic regions, instead of regionals. I guess only time will tell to see how this all plays out.

Can someone give me a brief run down of how MAG operates and the actual impact this has. Right now I am thinking of it from the WAG perspective....
You compete a bunch of meets wherever your club decides. you may need to enter a qualifier to compete at states, from states certain levels qualify to compete at regionals.
From regionals you qualify to nationals - this is the point of contention for WAG due to regions seeming to be unbalanced in resources/population.
Was air travel never needed to attend regionals in the past?
I assume with less regions, it is now more competitive - so I understand how the traditionally weaker states might be concerned. Is there any detriment to strong gymnasts from clubs who do travel for competition experience anyway?

It is similar for the boys. Typically, we did most of our meets in our region with 1-2 travel meets outside of that. State was of course, in our state, and then regionals rotated amongst the 4 states in our region. Our was small but very competitive to make it to nationals.

Air travel was rare for us for regionals, but for others it depended on the location. we were always able to drive to regionals.

From my understanding, it will be a bit more competitive, but with more spots, it should average out to about the same. So if region X used to have 5 spots for L10 older, and Region Y had 7, now they will still have around 12.

The difference for the boys/girls is that our nationals is not a set number, but is an allotment based on how many boys at that level/age group you have that year. So smaller regions sent fewer boys to nationals, larger regions more.

It is a BIG change, and will take some time to play out. There is also alot of regional loyalty. Our region was split into 3 different regions now, and no longer exists. That will just be so different moving forward.

Was air travel never needed to attend regionals in the past?
In our region, air travel was only needed if athletes lived in Alaska or if Alaska happened to be hosting. This year was an Alaska year and our family turned down my son’s spot at regionals due to travel costs. This was so common that organizers sent out a form before state asking people if they were planning to go to regionals if they qualified. A lot of people must have decided against it because they kept lowering the qualifying scores.

I’m not currently planning to fly to any meets until he’s in level 8 and has an opportunity to attend nationals. This change definitely does not increase opportunities for our family.

It is similar for the boys. Typically, we did most of our meets in our region with 1-2 travel meets outside of that. State was of course, in our state, and then regionals rotated amongst the 4 states in our region. Our was small but very competitive to make it to nationals.

Air travel was rare for us for regionals, but for others it depended on the location. we were always able to drive to regionals.

From my understanding, it will be a bit more competitive, but with more spots, it should average out to about the same. So if region X used to have 5 spots for L10 older, and Region Y had 7, now they will still have around 12.

The difference for the boys/girls is that our nationals is not a set number, but is an allotment based on how many boys at that level/age group you have that year. So smaller regions sent fewer boys to nationals, larger regions more.

It is a BIG change, and will take some time to play out. There is also alot of regional loyalty. Our region was split into 3 different regions now, and no longer exists. That will just be so different moving forward.
Yes it really depends on your current state and region how impactful this will be. Change will be huge for you on many levels, and barely noticeable here in CA.

I think there are a lot of positives with this, but I do have concerns. We are in current Region 2 for context.

1. What is the point of combining Region 2 & 4 if they end up having separate "sectionals" instead of regionals. Isn't that pretty much like keeping separate regions?

2. If National/Western allotments are made from Sectionals, what happens if kids "below the line" for one section score higher AA than kids above the line in the other section? Or would the scores from both sections just be put in one master list to draw the line? Then there will be some "unfairness" due to different judges at each of the sectional events.

3. Travel costs for the new Region 2 could potentially be much higher - for Sectionals/Regionals/Regional Camps, etc.

4. Region 2 will span 4 time zones. My son had an 8 AM session at Westerns this past season, which felt like 6 AM to us - it was rough. If Regionals/Sectionals, etc. are a few time zones away, it's hard.

our state would be part of the new R2 as well, and while it does not affect me, I have the same concerns. I worry that some of the smaller gyms in the region would decide to end the boys' programs as it seems the costs would go up. It could be fine but it is one thing I have thought about.

We are part of the old Region 7... we've been pretty spoiled when it comes to everything being within a 3 hour driving distance for regionals.

Only thing we are concerned about is having to drive up to New England in the dead of winter and having to contend with Blizzards... which are little less common in Downstate NY, NJ, PA, MD, VA, and WV. Everytime we've gone to New England for a meet without fail there is a blizzard. Lol

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back