Scoring Question - D score/E score

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Canadian_gym_mom

Proud Parent
I honestly don't know how much is the same or different with US and canada scoring, but I know we have some fellow Canucks here who might be able to help.

Some of the the Pre-novice National girls went to a meet 2 weeks ago (dd not quite there yet) and the coach posted the results sheet. I was looking over it and comparing to the required elements and I am confused.

I THOUGHT that the D score was calculated on what elements the gymnast DOES, and the E score is based on how well they do it?

But I am looking at bars for example: the required elements are 7.4 and a stuck landing bonus of 0.1. So the D score is 7.5.

1. Long kip - 0.5

2. Connection kip-cast - 1.0

3. Cast to HS - 0.9
Straddle technique - 0.3

4. Giant - 1.0

5. Giant - 1.0

6. Giant - 1.0

7. Connection Giant/Flyaway - 1.0

8. Dismount Layout flyaway - 1.0
tuck - 0.5

So if I am looking at a score sheet, and every gymnast in the category has a Diff. (which I am assuming is the D score, lol) of 4.1 or 4.0, does that mean that none of them actually did all the elements?

Or is there something else I am missing?

The Exec. are the range from 8.1 - 9.2, and that is how they did on the elements, right? And that is out of 10?

Thanks for any insight, lol.

Yes the D (think difficulty) score is based on the skills they do. Not every gymnast has all the required skills OR doesn't do them in a way that they are credited. As in a layout flywaway is not laid out enough and is devalued to 0.5 or kip cast HS is not connected or cast to HS is not high enough. SO even if a girl "did" all the skills, they might not have been given the credit for them, hence the lower than 7.5 D score.

The E score (think execution) is the 10 points all gymnasts start with and then the judges take off points for problems of all kinds, These deductions start at 0.1 (flexed foot type of thing) up to 1-0 (fall off apparatus). These are nothing to do with skills that are missing etc, only how well a defined skill was executed, and in a case like beam, how many wobbles, and how big they were.

The USAG system in the US uses the old scoring system that is based on the 10 only. The Canadian system uses a modified FIG scoring system, just like in International meets and those in many other countries.

Yes the D (think difficulty) score is based on the skills they do. Not every gymnast has all the required skills OR doesn't do them in a way that they are credited. As in a layout flywaway is not laid out enough and is devalued to 0.5 or kip cast HS is not connected or cast to HS is not high enough. SO even if a girl "did" all the skills, they might not have been given the credit for them, hence the lower than 7.5 D score.

This is what I was wondering. So just attempting a skill doesn't give them this credit I guess is what confused me. Thanks for the info. I could NEVER be a judge. They'd all have gold medals, lol.

I have seen routines score very low, especially on beam. DOing a HS is not enough to get you 0.5, the HS has to be all the way up. Jumps have to be done a certain way to get the connections and therefore the credit. If theey say layout, they do not mean piked!

Judging is a brutal job using the FIG system, which is why we tend to have more judges at each table.

The PreNovice scoring is also quite different than scoring in the provincial streams, or national novice, national open, etc. It seems to be an entity unto itself - the D values given do not follow through to the next levels, for example. You would be hard-pressed to find an elite athlete with a 7.5 D value on bars......

The PreNovice scoring is also quite different than scoring in the provincial streams, or national novice, national open, etc. It seems to be an entity unto itself - the D values given do not follow through to the next levels, for example. You would be hard-pressed to find an elite athlete with a 7.5 D value on bars......

Absolutely correct. It is a programme designed to move kids to the national levels using developmental skills and routines. Even at the elite level the highest scores on bars this year are in the very high 14's. I always find it amusing to look for at the PNN scoring, it looks so crazy high. But as they are looking for perfection, deductions taken can be quite large.

Not sure about with the pre novice scoring but I think you only get credit for each skill once (ex. no D score for each giant, just one). Now I could be wrong quite easily, but I think that is how it works.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back