Short hair and gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

aerialriver

Coach
Gymnast
I'm stoked because my competition season is over and I am getting a free makeover (hair cut, color and style) I'm seriously considering chopping a good bit of my hair off. Possibly to the point it won't be able to be pulled back. But not so short like a boy cut.

I am wondering if you have short hair what is the best way to keep it out of your face for gym? Also I do T&T and it should grow back enough by competition season but T&T is especially harsh about hair, it really has to be back like in a bun. I'm sure there are other t&ters with hair too short to secure it back, what do they do?

Many college athletes use skinny headbands to keep their hair off thier face.

We've got one with an adorable little angled back bob (oh my god she is the cuuuuutest kid) & we do her in a spider web usually. I've also done creative use of hairnets to make a bun that's honestly more hairnet than hair.

Also sometimes you can get away with french braids when you can't bun it. It depends on your hair thickness & such.

We just chopped about 8 inches of my DD's beautiful brown locks the day after her State meet. This is the second time we've done this and she loves it every time. We have her put in lower ponytail and then mark a bottom and top piece of the ponytail with a small bands to determine the shortest she can go and still get what we call a duck tail at least. Then the stylist cuts her hair in a A-line cut so she can still put the front back without to much trouble. This cut looks great is simple and for her grows back enough to pull up for the next meet season with some "Got To Be Glued" hairspray. If you have put your hair in a bun still, put it in a ponytail and twist, pin as much as you can an catch what you can with a hair net.

Good luck and have fun!

I had short hair when I was just starting out in gymnastics and didn't need to pull it back at all. When it was more of an in-between length- too long to keep down and too short to pull back- I would use lots of little clips to keep it back(the kind that snap open and closed) or a 1/2 ponytail could work. I remember one time for a meet a teammates mom did my hair in little twists that went back into tiny ponytails with small elastics. Kind of like cornrows but not quite so tight. I tried to find a picture and this comes close, though you would just stop with the twists- (kind of like this but into teeny ponytails instead of clips- Triple Twists Hair Do | HairStylesByMommy.com). Here is a how-to for a similar style, though you wouldn't need to do them that small/close together- Twisted Cornrows Hairstyle. I have very curly hair and it worked fine (unlike spider webs which are just a big mess), so it works for various textures.

I know that when I got my hair cut short I didn't have time to do complicated hairstyles before every practice. I recommend just doing a half-up for days whenever you don't have enough time to do complicated hairstyles. You may have to re-do it a couple time but it worked pretty well for me.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back