Short Sleeve Competition Leotards

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Optionals United

Moderator/Gymnast
Coach
Gymnast
Ok, well this year our gym decided to go with short sleeve comp. leos. I have been looking (we get a say in the leos we choose) and didn't find many! My coach likes very simple leos with very minimal jewels. If you find any you like could you post them on here. Also what are your opions on short sleeve comp leos???????

My opion is that they can look good if done right!!! No crazy designs, tons of jewels, or weird colors. One thing that I have found very nice with them is you (at least my whole team) all end up burning in long sleeves. With short sleeves you won't get hot. Also with being hot you start to sweat and it goes through long sleeve leos. You cant get that if you don't have any sleeves. One last thing in my opion is, where I live you will probably wear long sleeve leos about 1 time a year. So we don't get any use out of our leos after we our done using them for comp. They just sit in the back of your closet!!!!!! :)If you had short sleeve you get more wear, because you can still wear them afer comp. and not be burning. (if they still fit. We change leos about every 2 years)

Me being tech challenged can't get the picks of the leos up here soooo, here are directions to find them. (If you care or have time!!!!!!!! :) )

1 go to Gk.com :)
2. click on gym leos
3.select special order team workout
4. click team workout sleeveless p 4-7 (first one)
5. numbers WL249(flame, first page) AND WL278 (flower :), second page!!

Also follow steps 1 and 2
3.then go to team workout wear 2010-2011 preview
4. click on the catoloug
5. number 3621 (last one, pink/black, and firery)
hope you can find them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Yeah, because we have to be able to get our gyms color on the leo. So, like with the GK leos I gave you diretions for you can choose the color and design where you want to put the jewels! :D

I think the long sleeve leos look more graceful. But all the girls in my gym bitterly complain about them too so they all wish they had short sleeve ones.

Do you mean actual short sleeve leos or tank style leos? No offense, but I have never seen a decent looking short sleeve leo and couldn't imagine it being used for competition.

I agree with the poster who said that the long sleeve leos (or at least 3/4 length sleeves) look more elegant...and you are right, you probably won't wear it after it is retired but if it serves it's purpose of giving you a polished look in competitions, I say it's money well spent...after all the time and money you put into your training, the price of the long sleeve leo is a drop in the bucket...

do they have to be from GK? Because I like the "Borderlites" scoop neck leotards from "Rebecca's Mom Leotards". They're short-sleeved and are also simple, but look nice and look more like competition leos to me. :) My old gym also used short sleeved leotards but they got theirs from Snowflake Leotards. They used the "Allure" work out leo which I thought looked nice. That's another site you could check out.

I agree that long sleeve leos make you look more elagent too. But my coach is like up in the new trends. (supposably this is one of them)

Bookworm-by short sleeve I mean tank style

Smileandflip-no they don't but bigger companies like that would be better. As they have more options and you can customize.

I think sleeveless competition leos certainly have a purpose. They are typically more affordable, probably slightly more practical in areas that are warm year round, and can be reused when a new team leo is selected. I think they are especially good for lower competitive levels so parents don't need to start shelling out the big bucks on leos so early on.
I think they can be worn really well as long as they are chosen wisely in a style that looks nice on everyone.

I think, if possible, I would look at some leo companies that are a little less popular in your area. I think competition leos should be something at least a little special, not something the girls you compete against just wear to practice in.

I agree with you Coach Molly. They look good if done right. We would look at some smaller companies, but most our either to crazy or to simple. The girls on my team would be all for leos with some intresting stuuf oon it, but my coaches middle name is SIMPLE!! lol :) This years leo was GK, no sparkles, black body, and a very simple design. I liked it but some of the other older girls on our team didn't.

For our team one family has 3 girls on optinals. Another has a younger brother on team and a sister who is probably going to move up. That is another reason,because of the price. We also have to get new warm ups this year! So, we are trying to keep it simple and affordable.

Also where I live (Region 1) it is hot/warm/humid all year round.

I tried to post some from the GK catalog, but I couldn't get the links to work. Here are some sleeveless ones from Dreamlight that I think are pretty and you could probably get in customized colors. The same company also has a leo designer on the site where you can pick the style and customize colors and fabrics. I'm not sure how much it costs though.
Dreamlight Activewear 2009 - 2010 Catalog - Page 53
Motionwear has some pretty sleeveless designs and I think you can have them customized to some extent, but I'm not sure about the cost of these either.
Competition
Jam Wear also has some really nice and elegant looking sleeveless designs that can be customized to your team colors. All of the fabrics are hologram though, so perhaps a little too glitzy for your coaches tastes.
DIAMOND COLLECTION
Just do a google search for gymnastics leotards and you will find tons of leotard companies, many who are willing to customize leotards for teams.

Yeah,the GK links don't work and you can't copy and paste. I really like some of the leos from Motionwear that I think my coach will aprove of!!!!!!!!!! It is kinda hard to find ones that are nice enough for competition, without looking like a fancy workout leo.
You could give me the number of the GK leos you thought of/ what section they are in.(camp,team,shwn johnson leos ect.) I could probably find them.:D

PHP:
I think, if possible, I would look at some leo companies that are a little less popular in your area. I think competition leos should be something at least a little special, not something the girls you compete against just wear to practice in.
PHP:

I agree with CoachMolly...your competition leo should be an upgrade from your practice leo. And I think I would go with long sleeves as every venue we have ever been in in a warm climate has had the AC on to the point that I am freezing to death!!

What i have done in the past is take my daughter's old competitive leo to a tailor who takes the sleeves off and makes it into a tank leo that she can wear again....people look at the leo and say "that looks like our old team leo" and not realize that it actually was!!

That is a great idea! My coach just like nice,clean,and simple. I don't really mind what I am wearing (simple ,bold,ect.) but some girls on my team (high schoolers) want tons of sparkles and even some quite intresting designs. If it was my coaches choices we would have an all black or blue leo. The reason I like some of the motion wear ones was, because they has some bold but simple designs!

As for it being cold. In the beginning you are cold, but after the first rotation you are counting down the minutes until you can get out of this thing. Sleeveless just sound sooo much more convient to me then 3/4. I'm weird. I would perfer a tank top over a t-shirt because I feel restricted! :)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2072/2234012542_1177246e23.jpg?v=0

this style is a personal fave of mine and it's also available tank style. definitely something to look into.

That said, over here, the distinction between sleeveless for practice and sleeves for comp is far less established. you just wear whatever looks good and sometimes people even wear plain leos on purpose. You just need to week confident in it (though, obviously, as a team it's hard to serve everyone's needs. I rarely ever have to compete in a team leo, though T'm lucky cos ours suits me quite well.

do they have to be from GK? Because I like the "Borderlites" scoop neck leotards from "Rebecca's Mom Leotards". They're short-sleeved and are also simple, but look nice and look more like competition leos to me. :) My old gym also used short sleeved leotards but they got theirs from Snowflake Leotards. They used the "Allure" work out leo which I thought looked nice. That's another site you could check out.

Can I just say smileandflip I adore your photo. How fab is that!:D

I like the 3/4 sleeve. the sleeveless ones just don't look right. They don't have to be heavy sleeves they have some that are like a net matterial. My DD had that sleeve for 3 years and they never tore and were loverly.

I have to say though I like the jewels on the leos or alot of design. I think the ones that are plain just don't bring any pizzaz to the routines. You know if you can't do it well at least look well not doing it LOL.

My DDs soon to be old gym is black velvet with blue sleeves but a ton of jewels down the front and the sleeves are sparkley.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back