Parents Sleep time for regionals

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

sally

Proud Parent
This is going to be very interesting at regionals. Just got what time my dd is on. And of course a late session. My poor little girl is normally in bed by 7.15pm and now she has to compete at this time, maybe I should pack her a pillow lol. Anytips to keep them awake and what about food, she will be hungry as she will be doing gym in her dinner time.

Aww..poor little thing. I dont really have any tips..just wanted to wish her good luck. Kadee had just reg. meets that were later like that. Were going non during her normal dinner time and ended way after her bed time. We would normaly just give her a snack before the meet. The she would have peanuts, trail mix, sunflower seeds ect in her bag that she could nibble on between flights. Not sure if that is allowed at regionals (DD just got done with L2) but its what worked for us. Then we would stop somewhere after it was over to eat a meal and celebrate, then she was normaly asleep before we made it out of the parking lot of the restaurant..lol

Just make sure she sleeps well the 2-3 nights leading up to the meet. Probably adrenaline will get her through the meet itself. Snacks too... some of those new prepackaged dried fruit and nut packs are an easy thing to toss in her bag. Just be prepared for her to crash HARD after! Kathy's States meet was at about that same time and about 3 hours away. Of course, she slept in the car on the way home, but when I woke her up to get her out of the car when we got home, she was a MONSTER! I expected she'd still be in a good mood because she had a good meet, but wow! I'm not sure if I've ever seen my sweet, even-tempered little girl in such a FOWL mood!

Not sure how old your dd is? but is a nap, or at least a rest time on the couch or bed, possible during the early afternoon? Early nights for the two or three days before helps both my gymnasts.
As for missing dinner time, I try to give a hearty breakfast, a healthy lunch with some carbs included and then a snack mid/late afternoon (sometimes they are too nervous to eat much, but I at least offer it) A few non messy snacks can be stashed in the gym bag and then we normally eat when the comp is over.
And like everyone above said, be prepared for the "crash" late at night or the next day.

Good luck to your DD.

Thanks for the advise, we will be doing that. This is her very first real comp outside the gym so both very nervous and don't know what to expect. All we are focusing on is getting 52 to pass not worried about where she comes. They had a test on beam today and she got a 14.5 so hopefully she keeps on improving. What do you put in her bag for the comp. I see some food for her, does she need like a first aid kit or anything?

In my daughters comp bag - water bottle, grips, small back of snacks (cheese cubes, sultanas, rice crackers etc - nothing too crumbly) small plastic bag with a couple of hair slides/clips and some hair bands (if her hair "collapses" at least the coach can tidy it up) spare pair of socks (part of club uniform) pocket pack of tissues... all this stuff goes out on the floor with her.

Stuff I find useful to have in a bag with me - hair brush and fine tooth comb, small spray bottle of water/conditioning spray to smooth down fuzzy flyaway hair, hairspray, glitter spray for hair, spare clips/bands/hair ribbon, tissues, baby wipes, lip balm, a few bandaids.
I tend to throw in a few snacks such as a sandwich or fruit for dd and myself - not all meets have food available and dd is often starving the minute she is finished.
Don't forget the camera/video and charge the batteries.

14.5 is a great score on beam :) I hope you both manage to have fun.

that was really good advice thanks for that. I am going to copy that down. she always has problem with her hair going in her face so I will be putting that stuff in.

Sally, if her hair in her face is a problem, make sure you put hair product in at home when you are doing her hair... and I mean lots of it. DD has thick long hair and I always do it damp, with either gel or mousse.. then blast her with hairspray. It is a pain to wash afterwards, but at least it stays put for the comp

How in the world do you get your daughter to go to bed at 7:15????

Please share your secret LOL.......

My daughter just turned 7 and it is a rare night I can get her to sleep before 9. Drives me crazy as I am an early to bed early to rise person. I apparently gave birth to a night owl.

Lol easy she does a lot of activites 15hrs of gym, which is 5 days a week, plus dancing she days one day a week. On top she has homework. A very busy girl, which she loves doing it. She goes crazy when she has holidays and isn't doing anything.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back