Off Topic So it looks like I'm (slightly) un-retiring from coaching (again(again(again)))

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Geoffrey Taucer

Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Gymnast
Apparently gymnastics is the Hotel California: I can check out, but I can never leave.

This fall, I'll be returning to Rebounders to coach once a week on Saturdays, just to scratch that itch.

Also, today I hopped on a trampoline for the first time since the start of the pandemic, and while the air sense and muscle memory has not deteriorated one bit, the muscles themselves definitely have

Last edited:
Apparently gymnastics is the Hotel California: I can check out, but I can never leave.

This fall, I'll be returning to Rebounders to coach once a week on Saturdays, just to scratch that itch.

Also, today I hopped on a trampoline for the first time, and while the air sense and muscle memory has not deteriorated one bit, the muscles themselves definitely have

So excited for you and those that are lucky enough to be in your group!!!

Thats impressive!
Thanks!

I found I could still hit a clean confident front 1/2 laid out, and I could still hit a clean confident back tuck 1/1..... but literally could not generate enough rotation for a back layout. Also, I spent about five minutes on the trampoline and my legs felt like jell-o afterward.

Saturday was my first day back. I think I confirmed two things: 1) coming back once/week was a good idea 2) Once/week is plenty, and I made the right choice in leaving full-time coaching behind me.

I worked with the boys' team. It's been 11 years since I worked with upper-level boys, and I'd forgotten how much of a blast they are to work with. They work hard, they're willing to try anything, they like to learn about the underlying theory and mechanics, they know how to strike the right balance between fun and focus. Absolutely delightful.
Lower-level boys are exhausting. Still fun, but exhausting. Still learning how to behave in the gym, how to stay focused, how to keep a correction from one turn to the next.

8 hours of using my coach voice after 3 years of not using it was brutal. I woke up today with a killer sore throat, and no voice at all.

I'm happy to be back coaching, and also happy to only be doing so once a week.

Saturday was my first day back. I think I confirmed two things: 1) coming back once/week was a good idea 2) Once/week is plenty, and I made the right choice in leaving full-time coaching behind me.

I worked with the boys' team. It's been 11 years since I worked with upper-level boys, and I'd forgotten how much of a blast they are to work with. They work hard, they're willing to try anything, they like to learn about the underlying theory and mechanics, they know how to strike the right balance between fun and focus. Absolutely delightful.
Lower-level boys are exhausting. Still fun, but exhausting. Still learning how to behave in the gym, how to stay focused, how to keep a correction from one turn to the next.

8 hours of using my coach voice after 3 years of not using it was brutal. I woke up today with a killer sore throat, and no voice at all.

I'm happy to be back coaching, and also happy to only be doing so once a week.
That voice thing is real. We opened gradually following our covid closures, so it was just team. I still totally lost my voice though! I was also exhausted every day. And that was after just a couple months off.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back